Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help I cant find the connector that goes into the temp sensor were does the wire go to?

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Cylinder head,or water pump?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking about the location of the temp sensor?I know were that is I just cant find the connector that goes into the sensor anywhere

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
"the connector goes into".....I'm assuming you mean the Connector that plugs "onto" the sensor.....

This is just 1 of the numerous vendors out there that sell "Automotive Pigtails" or "Automotive Electrical Connectors"....

Automotive Electrical Connector Pigtails, Terminals, Tools and More

If you Google either of those "quoted" words above you should be able to find darn near any GM Connector/pigtail you need to either Splice in or replace just the connector with the correct pinning tool.

·
Registered
976 Posts
If you mean you’re unable to find the connector?
I had similar after buying mine. The connector was nowhere to be found.
Wound up splicing in a new pigtail.
Several months later I found it hidden between the starter & block. Seems someone forgot to hook it up and it got wedged in there.
It was covered in oil & grime and camouflaged well.

You can get new pigtail from parts store if needed?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay thanx just got one more question with the new pigtail connector with what other wires would I "splice it into" sorry I'm still new to all this

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Okay thanx just got one more question with the new pigtail connector with what other wires would I "splice it into" sorry I'm still new to all this
Not sure I understand your question.

If you are replacing a pigtail or Connector with a new Pigtail, it is assumed that you will have the same amount of wires on the new Pigtail as the old pigtail. You just reconnect each wire to the proper pin. In some cases your connector you are replacing may only have 1 or a few wires so pretty straight forward to swap.

If you are not experienced with a soldering iron, dont just do this by wire twisting or using wire nuts. Crimp on connectors are better but I still don't trust those. If I'm replacing a pigtail, it will be "inline Spliced", then soldered, each wire covered in Shrink tube and finally wrap the entire set of wires with electrical Tape. If there are multiple wires to splice in, I'll stagger each splice about an inch apart so you dont end up with a BIG bulge of wires due to all the splices in 1 location. GL, hop that helps

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
By "inline Splice" this is what I meant and pretty much how I do ALL my wire splices.....

....I don't strip off as much insulation as she did, keeping it close to where the splice is. Proper heat management will assure you dont melt the insulation too much. Tinning the wire and Iron while applying solder at the proper time, will help to manage the heat. This really is the best way to go if you want a SOLID mechanical/electrical connection.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate the info but my problem is I cant find the old connector to even replace it with a new one

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
op

we don't know what kind of car, year or engine you have...

or what temp sensor connector you need.

LT 1 has 2 temp sensors. One for gauge is mounted on PS head and the one for PCM is on water pump.

Whatever one you need you can buy on rockauto.com

the gauge one has the wire running up from a harness near starter coming from frame rail

the water pump one is from wire loom near air pump, front drivers side

for the gauge one (single wire) that wire would have been in a heat shield tube as it is near exhaust manifold...you need to repeat that kind of wrap or the new wire will quickly melt

·
Registered
976 Posts
If you mean you’re unable to find the connector?
I had similar after buying mine. The connector was nowhere to be found.
Wound up splicing in a new pigtail.
Several months later I found it hidden between the starter & block. Seems someone forgot to hook it up and it got wedged in there.
It was covered in oil & grime and camouflaged well.

You can get new pigtail from parts store if needed?
Like mentioned check behind & around starter.
I could NOT find mine either.
Found it later after pulling starter...so now I have two lol.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
op......

LT 1 has 2 temp sensors. One for gauge is mounted on PS head and the one for PCM is on water pump.

Mien Gott I'm glad it's not just me (this time) I dare anyone to confirm from the OP's posts (4 total) that there is even an awareness of any more than a single sender/sensor thing. We'll find out eventually which of the --> two <-- he's asking about. Then we might get somewhere.

We're all just playing along sorta thinking it must be the sender in the head since I don't think the car would run right if he's asking about a disconnected sensor in the WP ????

·
Registered
7,981 Posts

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
It's a 1995 impala and it's the temp sensor ....

No, it's the sender. Moves a needle on your dash. We're dealing with GM and their cryptic parts nomenclature. The sensor is the one in the WP. Makes your car run crappie or not at all or ok.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
No, it's the sender. Moves a needle on your dash. We're dealing with GM and their cryptic parts nomenclature. The sensor is the one in the WP. Makes your car run crappie or not at all or ok.
Post 13 he mentions it is the sensor for the gauge, the one in the head above the starter.

If it's the whole sensor vs sender thing, I hear ya. But I have seen them referred to as either on many parts pages and even GMs. I liken the whole sensor vs sender thing to....Xerox or copier, Kleenex or tissue, potato or potat-toe. Bottom line, call it what you want just get the correct part.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
The sender is a dumb one-way communicator with only the ability to move a needle, or turn on an idiot light. The sensor on the other hand is more intelligent with feelings to communicate parameters to the car's brain to keep things running. That's the way I keep them straight.

All I've learned on here is to eyeball the latter when any real mysterious hard start-dies-no starts. It somehow adds a 4th part of water temperature to the old air / spark / gas formula.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts