Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Probably so they can use the common two terminal connector,and the same connector body on the sender,and the sensor as well. Other position should have a rubbery plug on the connector...

·
Super Moderator
5,712 Posts
The temp sender in the side of the head is the one that sends to the dash gauge. One wire, that little green wire. Mine has broken a couple times. I just made an extension for it, thicker gauge, double insulated with two layers of loom cover, then aluminum tape. F you little green wire!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I tend not to use "pigtails",but prefer to splice heavier wire downstream. Then,crimp/solder a new Metri-Pack terminal/seal,and install to the proper side of original connector shell...

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
.... thicker gauge, double insulated with two layers of loom cover, then aluminum tape. F you little green wire!

That should just about do it. But please tell me you didn't forget to load up the loom cover solid with copper RTV. lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay but my main question is there is only 1 green wire and the new pigtail connector with the plug has 2 which wire do i connect it to?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Suppose one could,or see which side the sender pin is on....

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Connect the wire to the same side as the original connector, and leave the other one loose.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well when i got the car it had no connector just the green wire hangin like you seen in the photo thats why i asked if it would be the yellow or the black wire

·
Registered
8,059 Posts

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Or do i just connect the 2 to the 1 green wire?
It really wouldn't matter but not needed. Just look at the Sensor plug itself...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ACDelco-Coolant-Temp-Sensor-213-77/34176897?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227022961310&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42977263592&wl4=pla-81469239152&wl5=9008121&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=34176897&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-a33_Leh3gIV2bbACh2mzATxEAQYBSABEgKjk_D_BwE

....while the Plug end is a 2 wire type of plug, there really is just 1 (one) pin inside the Sensor. The other side has nothing there. The plug end is "keyed" to only allow the pigtail to go on a certain way. Just be sure to splice the wire of the pigtail that goes to this Pin on the sensor to your "dangling" Green wire. Then snip off the other wire of the Pigtail. No need to send it back for a Single Wire pigtail.

P.S. - There should be a little Metallic Shell that slips over the Entire Sensor to protect it and the pigtail from Exhaust heat. Try to find one to slip on or make sure this area is protected as best you can.

Edit - If that Picture of the Single Wire Temp Sensor Pigtail in Post 15 is accurate, then that is the wrong type of connector for our Application That looks a little more "old school" and used on earlier sensor setups with just a Flat Post on the end. Our cars use the "weather-pak" type of connector on most if not all sensors.

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
IMHO I would get the correct single wire connector/pigtail.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3778287&cc=1049701&jsn=540

I did this a few months back. The stock one had finally succumbed to the heat and the hold down clip on connector broke off. The wire going to it was also very heat fatigued.

I used Grey stripe split loom over the newly spliced (soldered) single wire and used electrical tape around the whole wire loom that the single wire comes from.

I then put over that split loom heat wrap made by Vibrant Performance # VIB 25830 1/2". It comes in a 3' or 4' length. Bought it at Summit.

I also got a new larger heat tube to replace the aged original that goes over the sensor/plug itself. Can't remember where I got it..

I have headers so zip tied the new heat wrapped over grey stripe split loom wire to the dip stick sleeve to keep it away from the headers. The heat wrap loom likely would survive laying against header but I wanted it not to.

pic of the heat wrap split loom: (FWIW I have 100' so plenty of grey stripe split loom which likely is not necessary under the heat wrap loom but it filled the heat wrap loom nicely vs just running the single wire in it.)

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts