Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to thank Marky Dissod honored member here on the forum for doing fantastic PCM upgrades for me. He is quite adept at optimizing OBD I PCMs to suit my needs. He has boosted performance, economy and drivability by addressing shift points, cooling fan thresholds, A.I.R. pump function delete, A/C efficiency and other aspects that are interrelated. My most recent emissions was Hydrocarbons loaded: 1ppm (220 allowed). Idle: 0 ppm. Carbon Monoxide loaded: 00.00 % (1.20 % allowed) and idle: 00.00% Not bad for a 25 year old car.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Marked for reference.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
kink56,

Your compliments are greatly appreciated; glad I made you happy.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
He helped me a lot when I got into tuning!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Now the question is.... What do you know about OBD2 tuning???

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
He helped me a lot when I got into tuning!
fuzzcar,
It was my pleasure to be helpful.
ANYone who knows how to tune an OBD1 LT1, knows more than enough to know how to tune an OBD2 LT1.

That having been said, even from Jeg's for $360, Jet's 'Performance Dynamic Spectrum Tuner Programmer for the LT1' is TOO overpriced.
An OBD1 knock sensor swap, plus an OBD LT1 Pro Tuning Kit, is still cheaper, and a better value as well - and there are several software options that are even cheaper.

Reactions: Jimpala95

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just went through emissions with my other 94 RMLS. It was not as clean as my other one at 9 ppm loaded and 8 ppm idle of 220 allowed for hydrocarbons. The CO was the same however at 0.00% for both readings. Thanks again Marky.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a pleasure working with him. He was very open to custom tailoring the shift tables for a performance/economy compromise. With the very first OBD I PCM he did for me I actually sent it back for some fine tuning, no extra charge. Once we collaborated on exactly what I was looking for the subsequent PCMs he did for me, they were exactly to my liking. I think he must have done at least 6 or 7 for me. I currently have 3 Roadmasters, but I also had 3 FWBs and my daughter has a Roadmaser as well.

He is also mindful of not programming a PCM that might damage or harm any of my cars based on their associated specs and equipment. He offers a LOT of great advice on peripheral aspects of performance and trouble-shooting.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
It need be said, that you - unlike some people - have a realistic understanding of these cars' boundaries, and you went out of your way to neither berate me for not bending or breaking those bounds, nor beg me to bend or break them.
For what it's worth, it's a pleasure to get inputs from someone who actually, really appreciates these cars [and their worthy predecessors], and is a class act to boot.

Apart from that, again, your compliments are greatly appreciated; I'm glad you allowed me to make your cars even more enjoyable.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Marky,
Any hints or tips for modifying the VE tables? I have been tweaking the VE tables using a modified version of the Moates VE PhD tool. I have been using this since I seem to have the $EEB PCM calibration. I use TunerCats for tuning and DataMaster for data logging.

Vehicle:
1995 Impala SS
ERE 383 #74. TFS Heads from Lloyd Elliot(2.08/160 valves). Custom Comp Cams grind (223/231 .581/.594 1.6 roller rockers 112 LSA) 58 mm Holley TB. Ported stock manifold from Lloyd Elliot. Holley 36lbs injectors. 11.5 compression ratio.
Tri-y headers and Spintech Cat Back exhaust.

The car seems to run l fairly well, but I want to ensure that I am "spot on" before I really go racing.

Any hints or tips welcome.

Michael

·
Registered
1996 ImpalaSS WX3
514 Posts
Now the question is.... What do you know about OBD2 tuning???
I know this response is to an older thread, but it still deserves notice and comment.
I agree completely regarding Marky’s experience and capabilities.
In our lengthy and detailed discussions, he has exhibited extensive knowledge about OBDII tuning, especially in the arena of the 96/97 transitional pcm series, where the operating system has found itself with very few supporting tuning options or programs.
Marky knows pretty much every work around, be it conversions from OBDII to OBDI pcms, tuning post 97 thru to current pcm’s, AND what can and cannot be done with the late 96 transition from generation 2 to the generation 3 V8 small blocks which left the final year of LT1’s as the red headed step child of the tuning community.
For those of us who own and love the final year of the ‘TRUE’ Impala model line, his experience is priceless.
For every other B Body owner out there, he can definitely get you lined out on datalogging and tuning.
I’ve never received any bad or incorrect information or advice from Marky.
I would definitely trust his tuning advice and abilities on my personal daily driver, along with any information he gives for those even more performance minded...

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Most of those who know more than I about tuning IronBlock LT1 stuff have either stopped tuning IronBlock LT1s for anyone else, or stopped tuning pcms that cannot be tuned with HPTuners, meaning nothing pre-97.

In the grand scheme of tuning, LT1 cars and owners will never get what they deserve, 96 / 97 LT1s got worse, and kalefonya got even worse squared.
So OBD1 LT1 conversions, 0411 L31 conversions, and 0411 LS1 8coil conversions are always gonna be important to those who want more out of their LT1 cars.
The most inexpensive of those solutions will always be OBD1 LT1 conversion.
Even if I the JET OBD2 LT1 DST will never disappear, two facts will always remain:
an OBD1 conversion will ALWAYS be a better value
an OBD1 conversion will ALWAYS be capable of better results, because OBD1 has better (and cheaper) datalogging

'Priceless' is a strong word. I've paid close attention to the ISSF for over 15 years, and learned enough from it - including several underappreciated gurus who no longer participate - to be 'of some value' to some of those who still enjoy and appreciate these cars like I still do.

Reactions: Jimpala95
1 - 12 of 12 Posts