Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my posi Is shot. She is and has been a right tire fire for long enough it has eat up a tire... and now I have finally gone somewhere for an estimate. Place is called shoals drive shaft. They came highly recommended by numerous people. Walked in and told him what I drove and what was happening. He quoted a 641.88 price. I told him I was on a budget btw. That is not an auburn unit though. But he described to me it was a "better" unit. Said it was a clutch posi and not what was in the car currently. I forget the name of the unit but he said it had eaten internals but a different case. He also told me it was completly rebuoldable. My question is; was that a highball or a Good price?

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
Posi woes...

An Eaton posi is easily $500. I'm not a fan of someone else's version of anything anymore. This is a perfect time for a gear change also. Be sure to check axles,bearings,and seals. You could ask for a price to install the parts you supply,then call Summit/Jeg's for the items you want/need.

·
Registered
8,977 Posts
get the Eaton 400# posi. http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...utomotiveAftermarket/Differentials/PCT_339923

summit, etc will have it. you will need a bearing install kit for it. on instalation you may discover you need axles if there is outer bearing wear on them

a qualified shop should charge about $200 for the install. gears, if changed, would not add any labor cost so many chose to go with a gear swap at the same time.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would only change gears if mpegs would improve.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I would only change gears if MpGs would improve.
You almost certainly now have 3.08.

Depending on how you drive, and your driving environment, your MpGs MIGHT improve if you upgraded to 3.42.
(Using your reluctance to upgrade as a 'justification' for recommending AGAINST 3.73; 3.73 nearly always costs some hiway MpG.)
If 3.42 did manage to cost you MpGs,
a. you have a leadfoot
b. you cruise on the highway above 75MpH
c. the increase in SMILES per gallon would totally be worth it

I drive like a cabbie on meth. I upgraded from 2.56 to 3.42 a few years ago. It's the 1st thing I should've done back in 2003. Wasted several years, two 4L60Es, and a whole lotta fun using 2.56.

Better gearing NEVER costs city MpG, unless you like to gratuitously burn rubber at every stopsign and redlight.
Better gearing nearly always IMPROVES stop-n-go MpGs, it makes it so much easier to get the car moving again - which is the whole point.
I drove my Impala with the stock engine and 5.57 gears for several weeks to work 2 summers ago and got 19 mpg. No high speed interstate miles, 44 miles one way with 46 intersections/potential stops. I'm sure mileage would have been worse at interstate speeds.
Because of #2, your 4L60E might last longer.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's happening!!

I just might change the gears. Will call the guy on Monday and see what this will run meh. Excited to get both tires spin in again. Gonna fix my posi before new tires son I can burn that last bit o rubber before I change EM. Thanks guys. Sorry though. This shoulda been posted in the drivetrain area.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I told him I was on a budget btw.

I just might change the gears. Will call the guy on Monday and see what this will run meh. Excited to get both tires spin in again. Gonna fix my posi before new tires son I can burn that last bit o rubber before I change EM. Thanks guys. Sorry though. This shoulda been posted in the drivetrain area.
Sounds like money is no object or your priorties are waaay off.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Priorities aren't way off. Do try to save were I can. The right rear tire is showing chords and the driver sides isn't that bad but I change tires in pairs. So why not have sum fun. And not having a posi is getting old. Any time I go to take off to merge onto the highway itl pull to the right. Especially when wet. Gear change is still up for debate. Gonna make the final decision when I call the guy monday.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
It's just funny to hear someone say they're on a budget but yet bragging about tearing up tires all in the same sentence. I can understand trying to save money when buying something (think we all like to do that) but admitting to wanting to get both tires "spin in again" sounds like you're not really worried about saving money. Now maybe you just meant having the posi work as it should again.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I now can sayb I have possitive traction again. I went with an eaten unit and while it was apart the guys said I neede new axle bearings. I did keep the 3.08 though. This car will most likely never see much if any performance mods and now sits in a garge except for those nice pretty days. I will say driveing it has become much nicer. It no longer clunks around or makes any odd noises. I didnt realise it had gotten that bad. Thanks guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.