Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We finally got all the parts back from the machine shop and the build has started on the replacement bullet for the wife's 96 Caprice wagon. My wife says that since it's her car, she wants to bend the wrenches. Works for me. The spare LT1 that I had in the garage was in really good shape and needed very little machine work. The heads got new Comp Cams beehive springs, locks and keepers. Shaved .002 to true them up and ported with a 3 angle valve job. The intake and exhaust ports were port matched to the intake and headers. The block only needed a hone and I had the crank bore and connecting rods line bored. The block was decked .003 to true it up. Stock pistons and connecting rods with new rings. Polish the crank and chamfered the oil holes. Comp Cams 501 roller cam. LT4 Extreme Duty timing chain and gears. Clear Image Gen 2 Tri-Y headers, high flow cats. We went with a Mezeire electric water pump and dual electric Impala fans. Melling high pressure pump and beefed up pump driveshaft. Bryan Herter PCM program.
Here's a few pics of the days activities.

Getting Started

The Babe and her Bumpstick. She says she likes the way the cam lube makes her hands soft.

Torquing the mains. What a woman and she likes Beer too.

Installing connecting rod bearings and checking for ring gap offset.

·
Registered
528 Posts
it will be cool when someone says what did your husband put in it and she can tell them whats in it and how she did it. have to see there face

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was probably her biggest beef. She would be at the store and someone would say to her, "Nice car, it must be your husbands." She would tell them it was hers, and they wouldnt believe her. When it is done, she will be able to tell them what she put in it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Nice Job Bud! Keep the photos coming. I can't remember when I've seen a post from you or Cindy!! Glad to hear from ya!!

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Is Cyndy going to break in the new motor at SSHS9? Great to see her taking a "hands on" role here.

I assume that it will be your responsibility to Zaino it before installation? ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kelly,
Norm has been busy so far but I am trying my best to drink enough beer for the both of us. So far we are having a blast and Cyndy is soaking up all the info like a sponge.

Terry,
Not sure about SSHS9 yet. We'll see. On the agenda for tonight is, timing chain and gears, oil pump, front cover, oil pan, and heads. Will be ready for Chevy Orange paint (as far as Im concerned, a black Chevy block is a mortal sin) Friday. Gets dropped in next week.
She told me that if she was going to burn the tires off, she wanted to be the one to build the HP.

More pics tonight.

·
Registered
190 Posts

The Babe and her Bumpstick. She says she likes the way the cam lube makes her hands soft.
Sorry if my mind is in the gutter buy i'm really surprised there aren't any lewd comments on this on yet.

BTW engine looks great, and SCHNIKEYS on the mac tools chest!!!

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Sorry if my mind is in the gutter buy i'm really surprised there aren't any lewd comments on this on yet.
That just a camshaft photo. We're waiting for the photos of her handling the crank. ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
More of Day 2.

You dont want to see how she showed me all the lube that she had on that finger.

She liked the Cam Lube but thought that fishing the lifters of of the oil was gross.

Check out the guns, Im not messin with her.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is just too cool. For real.

Two comments on this pic though......

1. This thread needs more V-neck!
2. Funny how at first glance it looks like she crossed her feet to torque that bolt.

For a second I had her talked into topless engine building. That would have solved the dirty Summit shirt problem!!!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
23 years in the military working on aircraft so the first thing I noticed was her wedding ring and thought "hmm, that's not good, not supposed to wear rings while doing maintenance". Hopefully some of the brain washing will wear off in time, LOL.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Freedog,
I did 7 years in Army Aviation and have been at Delta Airlines for the last 22 years in Maintenance so I know the deal with jewelry.

Thanks for the safety reminder.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Almost done. Tomorrow the greasy part starts.

She adjusts valves better than I do.

I had to test Fit Dans Gen 2 Tri-ys. They look great.

Now that is Chevy Orange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.