Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm converting my interior to gray, and I came across some door panels at the junk yard. The panels are in good condition, but 2 are missing the stupid arm rest and when I was installing a panel that still had the arm rest, the black plastic piece cracked and so it broke off. It's really pissing me off on how ugly it looks. My 2 main questions are, If I come across some other arm rest at the yard again can they just snap off what ever panels they're currently on and clip on to mine? Also can I remove that black plastic piece off the inside of one of my good blue arm rest and attach it into the gray piece? Thanks for any help...
(no-brainer questions, I just wanna see how others have tackled this issue)
Cheap-azz GM crap!!!:mad:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm converting my interior to gray, and I came across some door panels at the junk yard. The panels are in good condition, but 2 are missing the stupid arm rest and when I was installing a panel that still had the arm rest, the black plastic piece cracked and so it broke off. It's really pissing me off on how ugly it looks. My 2 main questions are, If I come across some other arm rest at the yard again can they just snap off what ever panels they're currently on and clip on to mine? Also can I remove that black plastic piece off the inside of one of my good blue arm rest and attach it into the gray piece? Thanks for any help...
(no-brainer questions, I just wanna see how others have tackled this issue)
Cheap-azz GM crap!!!:mad:
This might not be the way others like but if looks good to me. I bought a can of Impala grey spray paint from Impalasstudio off ebay and cleaned my blue armrest real good and spray painted them.

·
Registered
11,739 Posts
The skin on the armrest is not removable/black plastic plate is not removable from the skin. The foam in the armrest is cured in the mold, and will self-destruct if you try to seperate the parts.

I used a soldering iron and some extra plastic to repair a couple of armrest black plastic frames. If you make sure you liquify the plastic in a couple of places to "tack" the parts together you can "weld" the rest of the crack. Make sure you melt the plastic to a semi-liquid "pool" and all the way through, just like you were welding metal. Add the scrap like you would a welding rod. I built up the plastic to about 1 1/2 times the original thickness (the heigth of the screw lugs). It isn't pretty, but it is strong. It has been in my car for about 2 years (5000 miles) and has shown no signs of breaking again. As a further precaution, reinforcements are available in the vendor section for about $25 for all four.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.