Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought a 96 impala ss about 1 month ago. It was starting and wouldn't stay running. I just recently change the mass air flow, 8 spark plugs, and the ignition coil. I tried to start it after I changed those items. But the key wont allow me to start it. It doesn't have the original key. The key ignition lock cylinder was chanded before i brought it. The security light stays on when starting the car. It doesn't blink at all. Can somebody help me out with this problem. I don't want to buy parts I don't need

·
Registered
95' Impala SS
24 Posts
Did you replace the lock cylinder yourself?.... It Could be the key fob stuck in activation mode if the 96 is the same as the 95, I had to snip/disconnect the orange power wire that engages the key fob mode under the dash in a previous 95 SS I owned. It would intermittently not start/crank until I cut that wire. Research is required of course IF that's the culprit.... Others will chime in & surely you'll get it figured out... Also post milage & any other performance issues Icm & opti sensor are also suspects to consider. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
The factory key fob has nothing to do with cranking or starting.
It is door lock and trunk only.

" I just recently change the mass air flow, 8 spark plugs, and the ignition coil. I tried to start it after I changed those items."

It ran ok before you did the above?
If so , possibly start backing up step by step.
MAF in backwards , coil crap aftermarket , brittle wires broke during changes ?

Security light was on before ?
Likely a key to module resistance mismatch.
But on solid , if I recall and happy to be corrected , not stopping crank - start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you replace the lock cylinder yourself?.... It Could be the key fob stuck in activation mode if the 96 is the same as the 95, I had to snip/disconnect the orange power wire that engages the key fob mode under the dash in a previous 95 SS I owned. It would intermittently not start/crank until I cut that wire. Research is required of course IF that's the culprit.... Others will chime in & surely you'll get it figured out... Also post milage & any other performance issues Icm & opti sensor are also suspects to consider. Good luck!
No I didn't change it. I brought it like that. I remove that orange wire coming from the key ignition and it still wouldn't start. When I got the car it won't crank and try to start but I couldn't get it to run.

·
Registered
95' Impala SS
24 Posts

" I just recently change the mass air flow, 8 spark plugs, and the ignition coil. I tried to start it after I changed those items."

But on solid , if I recall and happy to be corrected , not stopping crank - start.
If I'm not mistaking if the key fob security feature is faulty it wont allow the car to crank. I experienced this and disabling the security feature in a 95 ss & solve the issue. Specifically

·
Registered
95' Impala SS
24 Posts
No I didn't change it. I brought it like that. I remove that orange wire coming from the key ignition and it still wouldn't start. When I got the car it won't crank and try to start but I couldn't get it to run.
So have you actually driven the car a good distance with no issues? Be a lil more specific to help narrow down the culprit. Like 95 wagon stated.... "Check Wires"
You started switching parts out, 25 yr wires get brittle especially on the coil. Did it run fine before?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So have you actually driven the car a good distance with no issues? Be a lil more specific to help narrow down the culprit. Like 95 wagon stated.... "Check Wires"
You started switching parts out, 25 yr wires get brittle especially on the coil. Did it run fine before?
I have never driven the car. It has been sitting since I got it. After changing those items, I went to turn the key in the ignition and it wouldn't turn the car over to start and run. This is where I am having trouble at.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I checked all the wires everything is OK. My problem is why when I try to start the car the key doesn't turn the car over. It doesn't want to crank the car. It's feels like the ignition is locked.

·
Registered
95' Impala SS
24 Posts
There is a resistor in the key.
The fob has nothing to do with the system.
Non power door lock caprices have the exact PASSKEY system and no fob.
Ahh man my apologies PASSKEY is what I was referring to😑 I been referring to the black key resistor as the fob. My mistake, the PASSKEY security system might be his issue if maybe the keys & ignition lock wasn't replaced with proper ones. Since he stated that in 1st comment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh man my apologies PASSKEY is what I was referring to😑 I been referring to the black key resistor as the fob. My mistake, the PASSKEY security system might be his issue if maybe the keys & ignition lock wasn't replaced with proper ones. Since he stated that in 1st comment.
So what should I do. Should I change the ignition lock and key? I can't bypass the system because I don't have the original key with he resistors in it.

·
Registered
95' Impala SS
24 Posts
I checked all the wires everything is OK. My problem is why when I try to start the car the key doesn't turn the car over. It doesn't want to crank the car. It's feels like the ignition is locked.
[/QU
So what should I do. Should I change the ignition lock and key? I can't bypass the system because I don't have the original key with he resistors in it.
Does the PASSKEY light come on when you turn it over? I would start by searching threads & try contacting the seller if possible & retrieve details on the replacement & why. Surely others will chime in bro.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
There are not of resistor choices .
If some one doesnt dig up the numbers for you to experiment with I will get the info later .
As in the range of resistance values to try.
If you figure tgat out then you can get a new keycut.

The " feels like is locked" you need to explain that better, incase we are dealing with a physical- mechanical issue in the column

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are not of resistor choices .
If some one doesnt dig up the numbers for you to experiment with I will get the info later .
As in the range of resistance values to try.
If you figure tgat out then you can get a new keycut.

The " feels like is locked" you need to explain that better, incase we are dealing with a physical- mechanical issue in the column
When I try to start it it won't turn the engine over. I cannot turn the key to crank.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
If you cant turn the key to the start postiton something is going on in the column.
The 1996 Impala column is unique in the 91-96 B line due to the cable lock out to the floor shifter.
I can not speak with authority on its operation and whether or not that could be an issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts