Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In June of 2012 my mom had blindly bought me a 92 caprice 9c6 from a city auction for $500 as my first car. When she told me she bought a car blindly for $500 I had figured she bought another one that we would have to part out. When I first saw it it was decent condition but not well maintained with 153,000 on it. The previous owner said it was sitting for about 2 years and probably wouldn't run. That didn't give me much hope. Until we gave a jump. It fired right up and ran pretty good. I drove it home, gave it a set of new shoes, brakes and a tune up and I put another good 20,000 4x4 only miles on it. I took it everywhere a 2 wheel truck couldn't go and places a 4 wheel truck wouldn't go. Then one day some friends and I were spinning some brodies in the middle of the dessert. Then I made the mistake of letting a friend drive it through a mesquite tree. Now it sits like this in the last of its glory.

Because of the hell I put it through and including the 14" diameter live mesquite tree it layed over with out stopping it has been dubbed the Beast Caprice.

During all of my adventures with it I had once ran over a boulder of about 20" and miraculously took out only the transmission pan. This happened on a Saturday of all days and needed it running asap. The only pick and pull in my area is closed on weekends and the auto stores couldn't get one in less than a week. I ended up driving all around town in search of something with a 700r4 or similar rotting away in some persons back yard. I ended up coming across a 95 caprice B4U buried in the ground almost to the windows. I talked to the owners about it and asked If I could yank the pan off of it. Of course they told me no but they also told me they wanted it off there property and was trying to sell it for $500. Me not having $500 at the time had to turn it down and had to still wait till Monday to get a smashed and rusted pan from the junk yard for the same cost of a new one from Oreilly's. But it wasn't a total loss though cause about 3 months later in May of 2013 I went back to that car with $500 cash in hand and hopes that it would still be there. Fortunately it was. I asked the owners if they would take $200 for it and with out hesitation they said yes. That same day I tied a strap to it and pulled it 30 miles home using the Beast Caprice of course. I figured I would use it as a parts car but then decided that to much on it was different to really swap between the years in terms of power train and it was just so nic I couldn't convince my self to tear it up. I decided to try and get it running which consisted of adding a $60 fuel pump and yanking out an aftermarket car alarm that prevented everything from doing anything. After a year of sitting it fired up immediately and ran great. I decided to take for a test drive to explore further issues. Now the previous owners said it was having transmission problems but I had no idea how bad they were. I did a few burn outs leaving the drive way and made it about a mile before I started smelling burning trans fluid and more and more power went into the trans and less and less came out. Pushed it back home. Pulled the pan off to see the damaged and the chunks of metal the size of marbles in the pan didn't give me much hope on rebuilding it. And there it sat with the goal of finding a new trans for it. * months went by with no luck. Then the Beast went through a tree and the need for a new DD arose and Bad blue was the closest option. 2 months later in March of 2014 I found a used trans that the guy claimed had only 25,000 on and wanted $375 for. I had no idea if it was good or not but I didn't really care to much as my second one would be a rebuilt one from a shop and I could use it to cover the core charge at about the same price. So if it was bad I would have been in the hole for the higher price either way but if it was good then I would be in only 375. I double checked the price with him and he shook his head and said 325. I was like hells yeah. As I was leaving he handed me 25 back and told me to put gas in the truck I was driving which was nice considering I had to drive 250 miles to get it. Then I had an extra 600 lying around cause I saved 900 with the intention of buying a rebuilt one and this one just happened to surface while I had the cash. Because of this extra money I had left with an extra $1000 of tools from Harbor Freight (I had a friend with me).
When I got home a friend of mine through it in real quick and gave it test drive and thus Bad Blue had been resurrected.

This is haw it sat the same day of the trans swap.

On that note my total investment to make it running and driving is $560. Not to bad if I do say so my self. Granted I've ad a few parts fail since then (water pump, opti, in tank fuel line) but it is now finally a reliable DD. After those repairs my total investment is $760. Still good. Now, its time for mods to begin.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To start off the mods I decided It needed some new wheels. I had picked up some AR Torq thrust from a friend about 2 years ago for $100 for the set with the intention of putting them on the Beast but because they are 9" wide and have a smaller backspace I wouldn't have been able to comfortably mount the 215's to them and then the wheel itself only cleared the fender by about 1/4". They there for just sat instead. Now that I have Bad Blue with 235's and without skirted fenders I decided to see if I would like them or not.

I decided I did so I got them installed.

here in the hopefully not to0 distant future I plan on doing a built T5 swap. Yes I realize that the T5 isn't as strong as the T56 and I would love/plan to put one in the distant future. As of right now I don't make too much cash and have a friend with a wrecked Camaro with a built T5 and have agreed on a $600 price tag for it and everything else associated with getting power from the engine to the rear end. You can't get much of a better deal than that.

Anyway, that leads me onto my next subject. Consoles and stereo. I obviously have to have good tunes and a cup holder, as from this picture you can clearly tell that munchies are allowed in my car.

As for the stereo, mine isn't you're basic big subs in the trunk and a deck connected to stock speakers with a plug and play harness. I have additional Items such as multiple batteries for playing music with the car off, Volt/Amp meters, an EQ, switches to make things happen, and a door open circuit because I like that luxury. Thats the jist of that but It all needs a place to be and I would like to integrate it with a console but when I go T5 swap I will be building a custom console then to make it all work and look like it's suppose to be there. For now I want a console that I can use but I don't want to spend much money on. Things kinda fell into place here as a friend just recently bought a K5 blazer that had a console from a 2005 Cadillac Devile rolling around the back. The previous owner was going to install it but never got around to it. My friend was never going to install it and If I didn't want take it then it would have eventually would have been used as a shovel to get him out of the river. So I got it for free so I decided that would be the one I would use. I've since installed it and have found it sits a bit tall for me, maybe about the height of a the console of a '99-'02 Silverado. I am going to trim the bottom a bit and see how it fits. As for the stereo, It is almost complete. I still have to install the front and rear speakers, the third battery, and wire up my switches and volt/amp meter but for the most part is done but only temporary. I will post pics of everything once I get them.

The next mods I plan on doing will be custom CAI, dual bixenon headlights with 35 watt lows and 55 watt highs (maybe 100s if I can find some), and a custom grill, not necessarily all of which will be made from basically scratch by me. Please give thoughts on what I should do first and other mods I should do and which I should do first. I'm a bit excited about the headlights though so I'm kinda leaning towards doing them first. Oh and I'll be doing 3.73 gears too but I have no Idea when.

·
ISSF Honey Badger
12,968 Posts
Love this thread and all the great descriptions

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.