Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No not the rock movie out on DVD but pricing and suggestions on my upcoming brake project for the 91 wagon. Midas quoted me over 1000+ for the whole Shebang(shebangs, shemoves, shemoves, damn that William Hung) Which includes flush the brakes adj, repack bearings, resurface drums midas plus pads, 2 rotors, 2 shocks in front (help the waving up and down) and labor of 420.79. Anyone suggest stock replacement or mild upgrades ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That sounds like a lot of money. You can do most of that yourself (flush the fluid, new rotors and pads in front, new bearings. Rotors, I've seen people mention, are about $80 each. Pads are a bit less I believe. Bearings are cheap. $20 for fluid.

I really believe they are burning you for that labor, but it is the rate they charge. Most of this job isn't very hard, but it is time consuming. I'm not one to talk though, I haven't had much experience with this stuff. I look forward to doing a flush and bleed soon though when I do the proportioning valve. Whether I'll change the pads/rotors I still don't know, but it doesn't look like a difficult job.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Full brake job (front rotors, rear drums, new front wheel bearings, new inner seals in front, new pads all around, and spring/rebuild kit for the rear drums) would come to about $450-500 in parts. Add in another $75 if you need new calipers and wheel cylinders

So yes, I think he is charging you too much....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rax and Ed. Yeah I'm gonna try and tackle this at the next rod mod day or take a weekend and do it with some help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had not done any brake work in years until I did the brakes on the Impy. I did the fronts including repacking wheel bearings, fluid flush and replacing all the 'O' rings greasing caliper pins,etc in a Saturday morning. The Factory Service Manual or the Haynes manual will be helpful if you have never done brakes before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.