Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
L31 is a good idea, but the TPI intake for it must be made of gold because it is very expensive. vortec intakes in general are expensive $400+ canadian the last one I bought for engine replacement I did in a boat this past spring. The $2500 was in Canadian dollars, so $2000 us. But yes expensive... there are many reasonably price aftermarket heads these days. it is the route i would go personally. I did the TBI heads as an experiment more than anything. mainly internet myths that you cant go over 10:1 with iron heads on pump gas. i'm 10.3:1 and ran 89 all summer with zero issues once i got my Qjet and advanced dialed in. it shocked the machine shop, especially when we dropped the all in timing from 32* to 26* and it picked up 15hp and 20ft-lbs of torque! SBC can still make power, don't let the keyboard mechanics convince you other wise.

Computer Personal computer Font Gadget Display device

Premium Member
L31 to get all the 411 swap goodies, turf the heads for something compatible to the F or Y tuned port intake was my thought .
That is an amazingly consistent AFR over that RPM range for a Qjet.
Little conservative 馃槈?
Whos dyno may I ask?

Registered
i love EFI but Qjets will always have a special place in my heart, haha... i actually have a TBI harness for my squarebody truck. going to run the Qjet and use ECU to control timing and lockup on my 700r4 this winter. eventual plan is to go 4L80E. i have been doing a lot more transmission work the last year and would eventually like to get into doing a half dozen or so units per year if I can find a crowd that is interested.

Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
"TBSS guys are ditching their LS2's for iron blocks."
unless they going forced induction, I submit it would usually be for economic reasons.
Not sure I have seen someone running naturally asperated pull a prefectly running alloy engine out and "upgrading" to an iron block in a non boosted situation.
I was talking about guys who are running giant turbos. Thanks for all of that, though.

It sounds like the only difference between an LS and a truck engine is the letter designation, and the prestige. The 3rd and 4th gen platforms are marketed as LS, and I'm not going to be the guy to make a fuss about it. Just like the 1st gen platform was and is generally called "SBC", even though there were all sorts of variations with different engine codes.

If you're building an engine... does it matter if you use an aluminum truck block or an LS1 block or a block from whatever the PPV engine is called?

BTW the guy with the fastest B-body around here has a carb'd SBC under the hood.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Reactions: 95wagon

Registered
yes definitely! they have both vortec and traditional intake bolt patterns. however, if your still wanting TPI you will need to source the lower intake from a vette or pre-87 f-body. whenever they went to centre bolt valve covers the intake bolt angle changed for the middle bolts as i mentioned above. if given the option i see no benefit in the vortec intake bolt pattern except cost.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts