Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since having a few thermostats I decided to test them. Not only if the work,or not. But,comparing them to each other as well. Scratching a line about 1/4" below each of the flanges does make slight differences between them easier to see. A medium size saucepan filled with water,and a length of semi-stiff wire suspends them. An instant read thermometer can be helpful,but not required. Sure enough one of them (both 160 stats.) opened faster,and further than the other. Also noticed Jeg's sells the LT1 thermostat seal separately (#53281),and it's nice to have a couple new ones on hand. My late model C/K pick-up uses the same style stat,and I''l probably repeat this experiment later in the season.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The two had slight differences in design that I saw. I installed the one that opened faster/further,but still found the differences in design interesting. Maybe,the one I chose was a newer model of the same stat.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't experiment with the effect of drilling a hole in the perimeter. Though I've drilled a 3/16" hole in the outer portion of thermostats years ago mostly to make the system easier to fill. I was surprised that Jeg's sold the thermostat seals actually....Would restrictors even work on these cars?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I bought a 160* Hypertech t-stat last year and it came with a bleed hole already in the t-stat with a little "wiggle thingy" in the hole. The t-stat by the way was a motorad brand.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure how effective that thing is. The holes I've seen done were always on the outer perimeter...

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts