Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if I'm the only one having bad luck with thermostats lately?

I've had 2 of the "Failsafe" 160 thermostats fail in the open position not long after I installed them and the latest one was one of the Duralast 160 thermostats (which I've read are actually made by Hypertech) that lasted longer but stilled failed,except shut! Luckily I noticed it before the engine overheated!

Also had another Duralast thermostat on my daily driver F150 fail shut as well. :mad:

I have since installed a genuine Motorcraft thermostat in the daily with many miles and no problems.

I would go the same route with the Impala however it has higher than stock compression and it's tuned for a 160 thermostat.

Changing thermostats and having to bleed the cooling system each time is getting old!

Anybody successfully run a restrictor?

Got too much time, work and ca$h invested in my engine to risk overheating.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My brother and I both run 160 Hyper techs in my 96 BBB and his 95 Firehawk with no issues whatsoever. Now I have had alot of bad luck with Thermostats from Parts stores.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
FWIW I have run a "hypertech" 160 stat for 17 years. several years ago it was not opening all the way so I replaced it with another hyper. all good

Hypertech, like any other stat, can fail also.

I notice most auto part store "brand" stuff is made off shore....quality often sketchy. Don't know if Hypertech is made off shore as the box does not say "made in" but does have Memphis, TN on the box.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Yes, I have had the Hypertech 1008 160 stat for 10 years with no issues and replaced it with another one when we did the radiator last year. The Hypertech is also sold as MotorRad, but I don't know the MotorRad part #.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
That's odd that you have multiple tstats failing that much. The fail safe ones fail in an open position which won't overheat but takes a while to heat up coolant. Did you flush out the cooling system lately? Maybe a good idea anyway, but could it be that crud is causing them to fail?

I believe the AZ stats are made by motor-rad and just in a Duralast box. Think the same is true in the hyper tech. It should have Motorad and Germany embossed on the body of the stat. I run the AZ unit in my car after a FULL FLUSH and it's been fine for a while now.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I notice most auto part store "brand" stuff is made off shore....quality often sketchy.
Yep. (Pic taken from from Mr. Pogo's link).

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's odd that you have multiple tstats failing that much. The fail safe ones fail in an open position which won't overheat but takes a while to heat up coolant. Did you flush out the cooling system lately? Maybe a good idea anyway, but could it be that crud is causing them to fail?

I believe the AZ stats are made by motor-rad and just in a Duralast box. Think the same is true in the hyper tech. It should have Motorad and Germany embossed on the body of the stat. I run the AZ unit in my car after a FULL FLUSH and it's been fine for a while now.
Yes it is very odd, I'm not know to have the best luck.

There is absolutely without a doubt no "crud" in either cooling system of the Impala or the daily. I am religious on maitenance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts