Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I have been tossing around the idea of getting a 94-96 Caprice w/ the LT1 in it. Its going to be my daily driver, I already have a "toy" that I have modded quite a bit, but its only got 2 seats. So I need a daily with some room & the Caprice fits that bill.

I will spare the suspension questions for that end of the forum, but I need to know what to expect from a few performance mods I may do. I want to keep it relatively conservative, but I just can't find it in my heart to drive anything stock.. lol.

I have done some research here & there on the net already. Here's what I was thinking:

-Cat-Back
-Intake
-Are chips/ECU's worth it?
-Posi rear with larger gears
-Nice set of performance Aluminum heads to replace the Irons (I hear this is the leading restriction & therefore biggest area for improvement on this version of the LT1..)

A few questions: What kind of numbers should I be hitting with those mods listed above? As far as heads, can I get heads that were intended to be an upgrade for an LT1 Vette/Camaro? Will they bolt right up & how difficult? What about cams? Are the chips/ECU's worth it on these cars? And whats a good street Rear to go with?

Little background info: I am FAR from a newbie when it comes to cars & performance, just new to the Caprice & LT1 really. I know mostly foreign, but have helped some friends on their Camaros in the past. Not looking to make this into a drag car at all (who would with 4000+ lbs?) just somethin to surprise folks on the highway & light to light... And I LOVE the sound of an LT1 rumble!!

So give me some expectations fellas.

Thanks
Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
do a cat back, intake from clearimageautomotive.com or make your own, computer reprogram from pcmforless.com, probly go with 3.42 since its a daily driver some caprice's already come with posi. look for g80 on the spid lable in the trunk, stick with the stock heads they actully outflow the almuminum just get them ported. and get a nice cam youll be pretty happy with that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And what kind of numbers will I put up on those recommendations?

And as far as ported vs replacing, what about the Elliot Head packs? The LE1 & LE2.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by ENDEE666:
Also, what about the LT4 head conversion I hear so much about? What kind of numbers then?
At they top right of every page on the Forum is a search function. With the right keywords you'll have soooooooooooooo much info literally at your fingertips :D !

The LT4 conversion is barely OK for the $$$ but it is a known quantity....it has that much going for it

The heads aren't a bad choice if you don't have access to a good head porter. And you'll need the LT4 Intake Manifold with the heads making the package a bit pricey.

The valve springs with the kit are marginal.

The GMPP RR's are on par with the Cran Gold RR's.....used to have them but I have the Comp Cam Pro-magnums now.

And I wouldn't get the cam....there are just too many better choices for our cars, especially compared to 6 or 7 years ago. That said, even the HOT cam is doable with the right gears and torque converter.....been there, done that ;) .

Again, I strongly recommend using the search function and scanning through the threads that are stickied on several of the pages on this board! There are better options than going with the LT4 Conversion.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the list on my 96 9C1 now:

2 1/2 Dynomax Ultraflo catback
3.5 Dynotech Alum DS
3.73 Eaton posi
BMR extended CA
SLP headers
3.5 MAF
SSRI CAI
52mm TB
F-body EGR
BH OBD1 conv
275/50/15 MT ET Street DR

See my sig below, this was at Cecil Couny, MD.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by JZ9C1LT1:
Here is the list on my 96 9C1 now:

2 1/2 Dynomax Ultraflo catback
3.5 Dynotech Alum DS
3.73 Eaton posi
BMR extended CA
SLP headers
3.5 MAF
SSRI CAI
52mm TB
F-body EGR
BH OBD1 conv
275/50/15 MT ET Street DR

See my sig below, this was at Cecil Couny, MD.
WOW!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.