Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like several have done this- so I guess our 94-96 alternators and regulation is OK? I know I probably have to get a special 'maintenance' charger for AGM type batteries. Optima's seem to be getting bad press since they relocated factory to Mexico - thinking of Odyssey - or any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Subscribed. I was looking at Odyssey brand too.
Money is not a concern, but minor abuse is: my car will sit untouched for weeks over the winter. I will use a battery tender sort of device when I (plan) to park the car for a while, but as it will not “stored” over the winter I know I will not always have the battery tender hooked up. I will drive the car on nice but cold days (and occasionally forget the tender).
I will never run stereo equipment or extra lighting, so that is not a concern. With my centrifugal supercharger my compression is only 9.6:1 so cranking the engine should not be hard. I just want a battery that will withstand some poor treatment and not leave me stranded when I am traveling to an out of state car show.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
With a good lead acid battery and a once a month recharge I have no problems getting a battery to last. I buy from a small supplier that rebrands. I pay twice as much as a wally special but I usually get seven years out of a battery this way. Other vehicles with less drain go two months between charges. I do not have emissions testing so I have a battery switch on some and do not worry about charging for three months.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Love my Odyssey. Dual post, and has lots of "zip".... Mine's in the trunk...
1601599879286.png

Reactions: nsaness

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
With a good lead acid battery and a once a month recharge I have no problems getting a battery to last. I buy from a small supplier that rebrands. I pay twice as much as a wally special but I usually get seven years out of a battery this way. Other vehicles with less drain go two months between charges. I do not have emissions testing so I have a battery switch on some and do not worry about charging for three months.
Good feedback, thank you.
Yes, I still appreciate lead acid batteries in concept, but what’s the rebrand you like?
I only know a Sears Diehard rebrand is not what they used to be.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yes, I still appreciate lead acid batteries in concept, but what’s the rebrand you like?
I only know a Sears Diehard rebrand is not what they used to be.
What I mean is over 35-40 years they have picked suppliers that make good product then put their own label on them. All they sell is vehicle batteries.

I had a battery that died over the weekend so I charged it up and drove in for a free battery and alternator test which both tested OK. I checked for parasitic loss found nothing. Dead the next Monday so I went back and asked for a new one. They asked if a used one would be OK. Used?? I said yes and went to the office to pay. They explained there was no charge even though there was no warranty. This is why they have such a good reputation. Wish they could do mail order.

If you still have limo services or taxis with shops ask there. Fleet repair shops might know "the shop"

Supply chains can be different in other countries. What I get under a name brand label may be different that what you would get. IE energizer, costco, and diehard are good examples. We do not have Sears any more but someone is selling diehard and others are selling craftsman stuff. Zombie brands.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Die-Hard Platinum is an Odyssey. Same battery that comes down the same line. Maybe save $50

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input- It's funny how the original 'Delco Eye' lasted a solid 6 years - and now you are lucky to get 4 years! I've been replacing with Delco's and wanted to try something different. I'm going with the Odyssey '792 cold crank' model- its a bit stronger than the top Diehard model- and will have to get a AGM compatible maintainer (Noco 5amp looks good).

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
I bought an Advance Auto Gold AGM battery in 2014. The battery sat in a car until 2019. Maybe 1000 miles total during that time. Then died. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I would like to caution car battery buyers. A high Cold Cranking AMP(CCA) rating has little to do with a battery's quality or life span. When I shop for a replacement I look for the physically largest battery that will fit the space. More space more area for plates and chemicals. In my opinion the better indicators of a quality battery are reserve capacity. This is how long you can drive without a alternator and a 25 amp load on the battery. This is totally realistic as a L99 and LT! can be driven carefully(no PS) without a belt. The second rating is Amp hours(C20) which is the energy a battery can deliver continuously for 20 hours at 80°F without falling below 10.5 volts. These are the ratings that will save you when you do not run your car and forget to charge it.

I will leave it to others to look up the self discharge rate of a AGM VS a normal lead acid battery. All batteries lose power even when disconnected, Plate lead acid have one of the lowest rates of all battery types.

A large chain store offered 1100 CCA batteries with lifetime warranty in the mid 1980s. They were 2/3 the size of a standard car battery so "One size fits most" After two were replaced in six months under warranty they supplied a battery that was sized to the battery area but had 720 CCA and a MUCH higher reserve and Amp/h rating. That was the battery that lasted several Canadian prairie winters.

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
While we're talking about batteries:

1. It's worth noting on side post batteries to NOT crank the bolts in when tightening - you may cause a leak or weaken the connection to the internal plates.
  2. Did these cars come with a battery blanket when new? These cars do a good job isolating the battery from engine heat but that's not a benefit in the winter.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Did these cars come with a battery blanket when new? These cars do a good job isolating the battery from engine heat but that's not a benefit in the winter.
The factory battery blanket is normally a heat reflector. In winter it isolates the battery and keeps it cold. The older charge systems reduce charge rate(voltage) as the alternator/engine warm up. This can on short trips result in a cold battery not being charged to full.

To the large vehicle and heavy equipment crowd battery blanket means a 50-120 Watt plug in wrap for the battery.
I think I found the reason in some old text books. At -30deg a battery output is about 1/2 of normal. The engine cranking amps are double. This is a bad combination that is fixed by any combination of a battery blanket, block heater, oil heater, or manual charging before starting. My choice is battery blanket, block heater, and on board trickle charger. Studies show two hours of a block heater are close to leaving it plugged in at all times.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
While we're talking about batteries:

1. It's worth noting on side post batteries to NOT crank the bolts in when tightening - you may cause a leak or weaken the connection to the internal plates.
  2. Did these cars come with a battery blanket when new? These cars do a good job isolating the battery from engine heat but that's not a benefit in the winter.
I really like screwing a short piece of threaded rod in until it bottoms out.
Installing lug onto threaded "stud" , and securing with a nut. Use thin wall socket if needed.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
AGM batteries are not good for cars that see infrequent use. They do not take a charge well once drained.

I drank the AGM kool aide twice (AC Delco and Die Hard) 3 years and done with each

One of the larger battery companies is Johnson Controls who make most of the auto store brands like Autozone.....and Walmart

The thing on side post bolt tightening. Its not how tight, although you just need it snug, its about having to long of a threaded bolt on the cable that will push/crack the metal case inside and the battery will then leak

Garys cables use the threaded stud you put in battery then a nut to hold on the cable or you can retrofit the stock or replacement cables that way easily

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Something for cars that sit outside all the time like mine. Wife has her car and i have my 4 so a lot of sitting at times for them. I've been using the 10 dollar harbor freight plugging solar panels in them. This seems to have extended their lives. The 95's battery just got replace. I put it in, in 2012. Got eight years out of it for the 16K of miles it's done :)
The mustang's battery would take a dump every few years with or without usage. It's now got 5 years under it's belt.
The panels are always plugged into cig lighter and sit on the rear shelf.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It seems like several have done this- so I guess our 94-96 alternators and regulation is OK? I know I probably have to get a special 'maintenance' charger for AGM type batteries. Optima's seem to be getting bad press since they relocated factory to Mexico - thinking of Odyssey - or any other suggestions?
Climate has a lot to do with battery life. A number of years ago Sears found out the hard way about that, because their Die Hard Gold batteries were high cranking amps (around 900 to 100 amps) and were being returned under warranty, especially in hot summer climates. They overheated because high cranking amp batteries have more plates and less acid (liquid sulfuric acid helps cooling) and were being replaced with 700-750 cranking amp batteries that solved the problem. Also, be sure to use a smart battery charger to help desulfate the AGM battery. A low amp (1.5 to 3 ) will keep the battery charged up, but don't leave it on charge all the time. Once every 2 weeks, all day will do the trick. A big advantage for AGM batteries is not having corroded terminals or damage above the battery from lead acid battery venting gas or corrosion on battery tray. I would recommend the Odyssey or Optima yellow top for storage. An Optima yellow top lasted over 7 years in my kubota tractor, and was a small size.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I recommend the northstar batteries. Pretty much as as the Odyssey. Both are very high quality. Batteries plus sells the northstar batteries under the X2 power label, Its nice to have somewhere local if you were to have a warranty issue with the battery.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts