Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
While we're talking about batteries:

1. It's worth noting on side post batteries to NOT crank the bolts in when tightening - you may cause a leak or weaken the connection to the internal plates.
  2. Did these cars come with a battery blanket when new? These cars do a good job isolating the battery from engine heat but that's not a benefit in the winter.
The bolt on the cables that screw into the battery are just sightly too long. I was having batteries fail that always leaked from the battery connection point. I solved that problem by shortening the bolts slightly so that the bolts would not bottom out in the battery.

I have had great luck with the Optima Yellow Top AGM battery. It is a deep cycle battery that can be severely discharged without damaging the battery. I also keep my battery connected to a Marine battery maintainer when I am not driving my Impala. I gave a Guest 2711A ChargePro mounted to the wall next to my Impala in my garage. When I come home from a drive, I pop the hood and connect the charger. My Impala will sometimes sit for 2 months without driving.

I also have the Optima Yellow Top in my GTO for the same reason. Not a daily driver.

YMMV

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also tried Optima Yellow Top AGM battery, and I liked it because of its deep cycle battery that can be severely discharged without damaging the battery, but anyway, I think they have to work with some tools, because sometimes I didn't like the way it worked out.After it, I tried Duracell, it also was a good one. And the last one I tried was https://batterytools.net/, I liked it. I work with batteries daily so as you understand I'm interested only in the best products. I'm also waiting for some suggestions and I will be very interested and thankful if you will tell me.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
With side post terminals ,I prefer installing a 3/8 stud. Then tightening a 9/16 head nut with a thin wall socket.

Reactions: 95wagon and Z09B4U

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
To add, a full thread stud lets you use every thread in the battery without danger of bottoming hard and damaging the battery.
There are reduced head flange nuts too .
A 3/8-16 uses 7/16 12 point.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Yeah the stud & 9/16 nut is what comes with the Innovative Wiring cables, nice stuff

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Same as ARP header stud kit....

·
Registered
65 Posts
It seems like several have done this- so I guess our 94-96 alternators and regulation is OK? I know I probably have to get a special 'maintenance' charger for AGM type batteries. Optima's seem to be getting bad press since they relocated factory to Mexico - thinking of Odyssey - or any other suggestions?
The Odyssey is a better battery. They are very expensive, but after having experience with Optima and Odyssey, I would recommend the Odyssey. You need a smart charger to use with an AGM battery. I have an Odyssey dual terminal 1500DT 34/78 battery on my 96 Impala SS that fits perfectly and works great with the factory alternator.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Same as ARP header stud kit....
Rather than a conventional stud and nut , like an ARP header stud. I was suggesting a full thread 3/8- 16 stud.
Hand fit piece of all thread
Brass all thread
Long set screw, something like that
and a 3/8- 16 reduced head nut.

Conventional course - fine stud you could end up with the shank or base of thread at the change interfering with tightening propely.
1slow , I know YOU are aware enough to watch for this, modify coarse end if required.
Others, might blindly crank on the nut and have a bad day.
One pitch, full thread makes it a little more idiot proof.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Only recently aware that battery ,and SBC exhaust/accy bolts are same thread... Duh...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Funny this thread should pop up - I just finished installing another AGM battery in my '95 this afternoon.

It's an Odyssey PC1500DT (dual terminal).

The battery it replaces was an XS Power S3400 (also an AGM).

Neither of these batteries are particularly cheap. Here in Canada - all in, you're looking at basically $500 for either one.

The XS Power battery was purchased in 2017 or there abouts. Lasted about 3-1/2 years and began having issues the past two weeks. leaving me no choice but to jump-start the car every day to get it up and running. Even with a full charge - as soon as the car was shut off - even for a split second - the batttery would die again and need another jump. Didn't seem to want to hold a charge and it always read full.

A shame really, seeing as how expensive it was. 3 1/2 years is a joke for a battery this expensive. Just my luck, it failed just outside the warrenty period.

For the record, a battery tender has always been used during the winter month's when the car's in storage. Didn't seem to help with this battery - so I'd have a hard time recommending this particular model//company.

Odyssey batteries, I've known of for a long time - just never had the opportunity to buy one until now. Supposedly the brand of choice for the military - during my research, I couldnt find much in the way of bad experiences with the brand so I gave it a go.

Might last 10 years. Might last 2.

Time will tell but I have my fingers crossed...

The Odyssey is physically narrower then the XS Power - but heavier. Fits a bit better and has better access to the side terminalls. The top terminals are built in, unlike the XS which required adapters. At 51 pounds - the Odyssey's is definitely on the heavy side - not a bad thing when it comes to batteries.

The red cover adds a bit of flare.

I can't comment on longevity since I just installed it this afternoon - but the battery arrived fully charged and after installation - the car starts right up. Might be a placebo effect - but I'm pretty sure the car starts up quicker then it ever did with the XS Power.

Honestly - if it weren't for the sound system in my car - I'd just stick with a replacement AC/Delco or Interstate. They're a heck of a lot cheaper. LOL

But if you have a big(ish) sound system and need the extra power/ capacity - an aftermarket AGM type battery might be beneficial.

Pics below.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Just curious, how does an AGM battery help with sound systems? They have about the same Amp/hr capacities as I recall when researching. Wondering if it's 'gotta have Monster Cables' thing lol

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I drank the AGM kool Aid twice and both, under normal use, only lived about 4 years, Delco and a Diehard. The current standard 78 series is going on year 6 and about 1/2 the cost. YMMV

Interstate from Costco is my go to for battery's in all my cars

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Almost same here. Never drank the AGM kool aid, but now have even stepped away from the higher end Diehards and autozone golds. Just easier to get one from BJs or home depot at nearly half the cost. And they've been doing just as good. And less warranty hassle...

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Many batteries, including Autozone, are made by Johnson Controls. Walmart also and they are considerably cheaper at Walmart than AZ. Costo only carries the top line Interstate which is cheaper than chain auto part stores

21 - 34 of 34 Posts