Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My box won't allow me to use the factory plug, at least I highly doubt it.

I'd like to see about getting a LED board that will fit in the third brake light housing...or anything bright enough to shine nicely through 5% tint.

Perhaps something that flashes a few times before staying steady.

Anyone have ideas.

Googling and ebaying now...but thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
are you autozoning and pepboying as well lol, thats not a bad idea, because i will be in the same boat as you bro, maybe you can fab up some smaller bulb sockets and have them in the third brake light reflector

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol nah, well whatever works. You won't see it from the inside, but I don't want some weird pattern seen from outside. I guess I could try wiring up a 194, but I don't think it'd be bright enough. If I can find a 1x3 board that has the correct plug, like the ebay like...it'd be plug and play. But if I have to rewire it from the trunk, that's no problem. I still want to mess with that socket you got me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-RED-36-LED-CI...1157-7528-/300450724631?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
There are some 5 and 10 watt single LEDs in RED on ebay. They are not cheap, but should shine through just about anything. They do require a heatsink, so you should be able to make an aluminum heatsink/mount for them. They are almost like a LASER. They do not blink, but should be visable. You may even be able to remove the lens, because they are red.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
hmmmm....seems like I've heard of this somewhere before..

oh yeah...

One of Jays [FakeSS] products back in the day. The LedSS it was called. A lot of us have it...

Its a cool hookup as well..Jay glued in the board and soldered to a std bulb base.

You simply unhook your bulb harness - remove stock bulb - twist in Jay's bulb base and you are good to go..

Ask Hack if he ever see's Jay anymore or if he has any knowledge of spare LedSS laying around.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Made one a couple of weeks ago.

And as far as blinking, there are modules you can buy online. Also, I have a circuit schematic for building your own.
how much did that cost ya? where u get it?

·
Registered
831 Posts
I had some extra leds, solder board, wire, & resistors from my taillight retro. Glued it in place & spliced the wires and done.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
are those red LEDs, or just showing red through the stock housing?

Looks like I can just get the LED flex strip and 3M it in place.

I bought a cheap flex strip on ebay earlier, from Hong Kong to try out. But it's RGB for another use in the trunk.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Their red-orange. I dont see why that flexible strip wouldnt work, its regulated for 12v use.Im using one for my cluster & tag light and its bright. If I didnt have extra leds, I probably would try the same.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually just found a tail light harness and tried fitting it, and it worked. Snipped it off and wired up two of the 3 wires and it works.

Now I just need to see if it will clear my box. Going to be close. If not, I know the flex wire led will fit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts