Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would You See Any Difference In Power If You Added A Intercooler To You Intake Setup To Cool The Air Even Though You Don't Have A Turbo Or Supercharger

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
1. No question is a dumb question if you're looking for a serious answer!

2. You may have a small power gain, but only on the hottest of days. IMO....not worth the effort.

3. Don't take me as the gospel on this; hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Best of luck!

KW

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Would You See Any Difference In Power If You Added A Intercooler To You Intake Setup To Cool The Air Even Though You Don't Have A Turbo Or Supercharger
I would gues-timate a zero gain...... With the inter-cooler you are cooling down air that a turbo has heated up. Ambient temp is used to do this. I guess if you put the cooler in a bath of ice or dry ice it might help some. Other wise you would be using ambient temp air to cool ambient temp air. Kinda chancing your tail.......

But I am sure there are smarter guys than me on the forum. And I am sure they will respond.......

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
This was a big fad with the rice burners a few years back. If I remember right power gains were just a bit better than a strait filter itself.

You might even do better to run an intake scoop at the front of the car. They used to make them to replace headlights when I was driving a civic. I imagine they were negligible till the air was being rammed in by forward movement.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
A cold air intake will give you about 2 tenths in the quarter.

Coating the inside of your intake with epoxy is worth another 2 tenths. If you don't want to go to that amount of trouble, laying abag of ice on the intake for 10 minutes or so will give you the same improvement.

Anything more elaborate than that, and you might as well put a shot of nitrous on the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is my understanding you will pick up more if you cool the fuel.

·
Registered
11,473 Posts

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
It's actually quite a smart dumb question. Apparently the performance increase is not great enough when running in even freezing outside temps to attract much attention for consistant amateur or professional experimentation. You don't even see the "icebag on intake" done by draggers much anymore as in decades past. "More" air and gas in the form of supercharging, along with using different fuels and improving the combustion process flow all seem to be what return the best performance curves.

Anyone remember the homemade "water injection" setups from the '60's? I remember the premise for popularity was the urban legend that Brits always swore they noticed better running in cold foggy weather.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
A cold air intake will give you about 2 tenths in the quarter.

Coating the inside of your intake with epoxy is worth another 2 tenths. If you don't want to go to that amount of trouble, laying a bag of ice on the intake for 10 minutes or so will give you the same improvement.

Anything more elaborate than that, and you might as well put a shot of nitrous on the car.
Actually Randy has a good point...
Many racers use NOS to cool down the Intake Charge.

Which creates denser air, meaning more oxygen and the NOS adds a further boost.

The Inner Cooler does the same thing full time and again NOS is used to cool the Intake Charge even further.

D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok thanks a lot everyone for your inputi really learned a lot reading the different replys from members so I guess nos it is

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
A 100 shot is about all the stock bottom end can take. If you have more than 50,000 miles or so on it, stick with a 75 shot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts