1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
246 Posts
All I have left...

http://rides.webshots.com/album/79609667UOboEc
http://gmlongroof.4umer.com/91-6-b-...mpala-interior-in-a-1995-caprice-wagon-t5.htm
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2952449/4
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2963492/6

Brackets - No dims though, but the idea is there: This is so you won't have to mod the seat rails to suit the different floor bolt layout.

I simply bolted the existing seat brackets down to a 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1/8" steel angle from Home depot, then drilled holes in the angle to suit where I wanted the seat to be. I am 6'-5" and 260, and the Bonnies didn't slide back far enough for my tastes, so I used this method to get an extra 4" of leg room. You'll also notice (or not) that the bonnies will be slightly off-center of the steering wheel, but it's hardly an issue. I "coped" the ends of the angles to avoid getting scratched and to make it look "tidier".

I slotted the holes in the angle for the floor bolts in order to get enough play in the angle to manage to get all four nuts on. The front and rear bolts are at different elevations on the floor pan, so when you bolt this down to it, it naturally bends to fit the profile.

Power to the 12 way bonnies can come from the existing power seat harness. I believe that 6-ways simply plug into the existing harness? I carefully removed redundant wires from the existing harness, and added the new bonnie harness beside it. The wires to be removed are to the door handle power seat switches. I cut the wires from the switch end, then gently tugged the same colored wire from the harness in the floor. There are wires of the same gauge and color, so you have to use this trial and error method to make sure you have the correct wire being removed. I put my 12 way controller within my new console. I removed the front slot brackets from a coin holder that came with the console, then glued it to the body of the controller. You have to use a utility knife to narrow down the controller body to fit inside the console bin (sorry, no good pic of this). You will have to cut a couple of holes in the bottom / front of the bin to feed the harness through. Then it's plug and play.

Print-off the wiring diagram from the sites as this will help you find the right two wires to temporarily raise the seats up to give you more room to attach nuts / bolts. You should always pre-test the seats prior to installation to see if the function properly. The two orange wires and grounds from the harness are easy to hook up to a battery, and this will also enable the compressor under the passenger seat. I am so glad I did this as when I dropped my seats in they didn't spark up right away, but I KNEW they worked already! So quickly found the problem.

· Registered
246 Posts
Cont'd

I glued plastic caps to the old switch locations in the arm-rests, then bondo'd it up, and painted them satin black.

This isn't the final product as I have re-filed and re-finished them again! And yes I don't have labels on the rests anymore, but that can be fixed if you want it on yours.

These are also available from non-power seat Caprices / 9C1s?

Obviously, the next item is to get a Blazer console! I got mine out of a 2001 BLAZER, but other earlier years fit too. The non-shift console are a little different as they have a widening that sticks into the drivers foot area, and you have to "stuff" under the carpet to get a good fitment of carpet to console edges.

Sites to help:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/732699/3
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2952449/4
http://www.caminokid.com/images/9C1/9C1Buildup.htm
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/629700/4
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2963492/3

I went with this...

Get the whole system: Console body, nuts, mounting plates, cable and brackets, and wiring harness.

I hit it with SEM medium gray vinyl paint, and it's still looks new after 6 months!

I had to mount the brackets to the floor pan using wood framing plates, and high quality adhesives (welding is much much better!). It worked well for me, but again, not the preferred method. There is a lot of fit and finish work to make the console fit properly, but it's worth it. I also ran a new power line directly from the battery to a power outlet (30A fused). This give the rear passengers all the juice they need for accessories.

Mounting, wiring, cable routing is all the same / similar to the previous websites, and they are excellent as guides. The seats and console should take about three or four full days, or less if you got skills and buddies!

· Registered
246 Posts
I have shift console and overhead console write-ups that are 2.7 MB and 488 KB in size respectively that I could try and PM to anybody who wants them. I just cut-n-pasted all the best stuff into word documents. They include all the "verbage" and photos from the sites I collected over the 2-3 months when I was gathering info. It's not all that 'smooth', but it's good stuff to read up on.

I also have one for 2nd row wagon seats.

Sorry, but nothing involving Impala SS consoles (94 & 95 mods to add a shift console from a 96 donor)

Stretch

· Registered
789 Posts
Great info. I definitely need to do this write up onmy boonies to get some much desired leg room.
Did you have to make your own wire wire-harness for this? I have to check, but I believe I'm missing this feature.

· Registered
246 Posts
No I didn't build a new harness, you just need to be sure to get as much of the harness from the donor Bonneville. All the bits simply connect together, and all you need to wire in on your own is power and grounds. I had existing power seats in my wagon, so that provided the power and grounds for me. if you're car doesn't have power seats, it's even easier, as you don't need to deal with the old system in the front door handles.

The wiring diagrams are included in the very first two addresses on this thread. LOADS of good info there.

The only thing one has to determine is where they are starting from:

Your car has power seats existing?
What Bonnies you want (6-way or 12 way)
What console you want (shift or non-shift)

Once you have these settled, it's pretty well layed out in the write-ups above.

When / if you remove your own set of Bonnies, take everything! Wiring, controllers, seats of course, little plastic shoes to cover the feet, all the nuts and screws, Oh and cut the carpet up to get at the wiring harness, you'll probable score a couple bucks in loose change under there too. I believe it's a 13mm to get the nuts off, and take a ratchet wrench to get under the seats. A battery pack and a couple wires will help to power up and raise the seats. Do this by energizing the orange and black leads coming out of the Bonneville harness under the drivers side carpet. Much much easier to get at stuff and move the seats forward / back and up. The harness should come out in several pieces if you simply disconnect inside the console, and under the seats. DON"T cut any of these wires, just the primary Orange and black wires feeding the harness at the drivers feet area.

Stretch

· Registered
63 Posts
I have shift console and overhead console write-ups that are 2.7 MB and 488 KB in size respectively that I could try and PM to anybody who wants them. I just cut-n-pasted all the best stuff into word documents. They include all the "verbage" and photos from the sites I collected over the 2-3 months when I was gathering info. It's not all that 'smooth', but it's good stuff to read up on.

Sorry, but nothing involving Impala SS consoles (94 & 95 mods to add a shift console from a 96 donor)

Stretch
Whenever you get a chance, I would appreciate it if you PM those write-ups to me. Thanks in advance. :)

· Premium Member
5,630 Posts
I know the thread is a little old, but here is what I did for the controls of my 12 ways. My console is out of an early 90's SHO, I searched and searched for one with the measurements that I needed because of the T56 swap I did years ago, I have about three different consoles in the car and didn't like any of them, I didn't put an Imp one in as I didn't want anything Impala on my car ;) anyway, I cut the 12way overlay and bonded and filled the area, came out pretty good, still have to redye the console, but that is coming eventually, just too damn busy lately to do anything on my car.
Here are some pics, oh I should mention I glassed in the ashtray as well.

· Registered
14 Posts
Blazer shift console

Stretch
Can I get a write up on the shift console. I'm off to the salvage yard next week to get parts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.