Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a post regarding this throttle body. I believe i have a 58mm one and no computer progamming, I have been through three tranny rebuild in 7 months and currently i am having problems and I dont know if it is opti-spark or tranny, or flywheel problem now. I took it to a racing shop and tested the car at WOT throttle while driving and a check engine light came up, check the code IT WAS TPS error, replaced TPS, tried it again TPS again. Tranny goes into safe-mode said the mechanic, this is where the 4l60-e allows you to go straight into third gear, so you can go home, i didnt know that. After reading the post in the engine performance I belive that this is the place to ask.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what exactly does changing the throttle body do for the car's performance. I plan adding some performance parts, i'll keep the tb but i want to know should i keep it for later and also what is the biggest size tb we can put on our cars, if it's stock for now. I also want to go aftermarket one that's not factory.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don, didn't we cover this already? They range in size from a 48, 52, and 58. Then the mammoth Monoblade. The 58 is already too large for your stock engine.

Stock is 48mm.. You have a 58mm you claim. As stated above, get the PCM programmed, or get the 58mm off the car.

You are going into LIMP mode because your TPS is seeing more than 4.8 volts at WOT. You need to slot the holes in the TPS and rotate it. See this link for how to do it:
http://www.golensengineservice.com/html/tps.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a great tech site! I just bolted a 58mm BBK throttle body on my 383 this afternoon. Perfect timing!

Tulley

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by DaDon357:
[QB] I saw a post regarding this throttle body. I believe i have a 58mm one and no computer progamming,

I thought you had to get your intake machined to except the 58 ml tb,does not the stock intake only fit as large as a 52ml tb??? and did you have your intake machined if not than you might only have a 52 ml tb.some thing you would need to know to get your pcm programed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK. My car was tunned for a 52mm throttlebody does this mean I will have to have it retunned for my new 58mm?
HVY SS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by 5 liter eater:
....I thought you had to get your intake machined to except the 58 ml tb....
No....you have to get the intake ported to get the full benefit of the 58mm TB. The stock intake only has 54mm ports so without machining it; just bolting a 58mm TB to the stock intake will only give you 54mm worth of benefit!

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spartus, Thanks man, I know we've been through it put i had more question and it seemed no one was answering to the TPS post. I wanted to know the factory size so i can compare sizes to my car, my friend has the 4.3L, so is that throttle body the same size. I going to the junkyard to get a stock one, because my car came with the BBK. The previous owner had this one on there , I dont know what other mods he did but raced it, the dealer told me he traded it in for a 5.0 mustang. Car for car. So I dont know. The junkyard wants forty bucks for it, do i need anything to installl, like gasket or silicone.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by KW Baraka:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 5 liter eater:
....I thought you had to get your intake machined to except the 58 ml tb....
No....you have to get the intake ported to get the full benefit of the 58mm TB. The stock intake only has 54mm ports so without machining it; just bolting a 58mm TB to the stock intake will only give you 54mm worth of benefit!

KW
</font>[/QUOTE]I stand corrected Thanks.Now i understand it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by HVYSS:
OK. My car was tunned for a 52mm throttlebody does this mean I will have to have it retunned for my new 58mm?
HVY SS
I believe you should be OK because the MAF will see the extra air flow and compensate accordingly. Also, you are running a shift kit in the trans, so no need in adjusting trans line pressures for you either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.