Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it common for these LT1s to throw out a bearing or rod? I had replaced my engine with one with only 70k and I got only one week and about 300 miles of usage before it tossed a rod or bearing again. I was only going about 80-90 mph when it did that on both motors. I know damn well these engines should be good for more than that.

·
Registered
932 Posts
unlucky

that replacement engine must of had 70K miles of tough abuse!! Lt1 engines (in stock form) have been known to go 250K or more with no problems! Bad luck I guess?

·
Registered
110 Posts
70k miles, but 15 years or so old- and depending on how the engine was maintained over the course of it's life very possible to run it hard and have breakdown!

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
It could of been ran low on oil once. That would do it! Leaking oil filter, Loose drain plug, Leaking intake/ oil cooler lines.. Then the P/O hammered the throttle once or twice... Bearing damage!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sigh...Oh well. I guess its just my luck. Good thing I can get another engine and do it again for even less this time.

This one place will offer me a three month warranty on the motor plus they test every engine before it gets sold. Several people have said good things about them. I wish I knew about them before all of this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
What kind of temperature is the motor running?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
There is more to it, to blow 2 engines like that? Lean mixture on a PCM tune? Like GTOfred said, are they getting hot?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
absolutely not. I was running a 160 thermostat plus im a fanatic about changing all fluids yearly, monthly, ect.... the first engine did break a spring (i just remembered) it may have contributed to that rod issue....but for a 70k motor to throw a bearing again was just plain bad situation.

I always kept an eye on my temp and other gauges almost all the time just in case something strange was to happen. Nothing was out of the ordinary in this case.

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
After the first engine packed it in, how did you deal with cleaning the oil cooler in the rad?
The cooler and lines are on the "clean side" of the filter.
Any crap that got through the bypass when you huffed the first engine , may have been in the cooler and or lines waiting to get pumped into the second engine

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I honestly did not consider that. I dont have an oil cooler...didn't think the radiator would have been effected. Guess now I know to flush out the Rad this time just in case. I will take all of the advice into consideration on the next motor.

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
I dont have an oil cooler
Sorry, I read you had an SS . Stock they have a liquid to liquid oil cooler in the left rad tank.
9C1 has external

Very few ( base cooling Caprice, Buick) have no engine oil cooler at all, unless you removed it.

Honestly, if you have either of the factory coolers and lost an engine I would not re use them.
Near impossible to clean 100%. I understand there are sonic cleaners (used for expensive coolers) but with the cost of a new rad, I would just buy a new one.
My 2bits
Gerry

Edit: discard all that. I just completly read your sig

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I may just as well do that since i dont want to destroy yet another motor. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that replacement engine must of had 70K miles of tough abuse!! Lt1 engines (in stock form) have been known to go 250K or more with no problems! Bad luck I guess?
I see that you are a "Bearing Mfg." How about if I blame you for it and ask you to cough up another motor for me? :)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
the wagon in my sig threw a rod bearing at 119k miles, 1 day after i bought it.

as far as the radiator, i ran out of money by the time everything was done so instead of buying a new radiator i just took the oil cooler out of the equation:

later i got rid of this and went with an older SBC oil filter adapter when i got headers, headers will give you enough clearance to use a normal size filter (rather than a super short one to clear the stock exhaust/cat.

many more pictures of this whole process if you click my signature.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow! Now that is serious stuff.

Well, I will go with another used engine with a 3 month warranty this time

I would have been fine had the first show actually did some work on my car when I first got it to them. (had a 30day warranty on the motor) They sat and looked at it for 3.5 weeks before I finally told them I was towing it to another shop. Man! They made me mad.

I was going to drive thru their shop, after it was built, and lay some rubber ( a drive through type of shop) but damn motor bailed on me before I could do it...lol.

Guess it was a good thing I didn't. I would have broken down inside the shop and been caught-out all while having my car back in their clutches all over again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts