Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was driving home on I4 in Orlando when all of a sudden I head a VERY loud grinding noise. So I pull over to find that my tie-rod broke. I only had about 2 miles to go so I limped the car home safely but the sparks were flying all over the place.
Originally I had thought maybe it worked itself loose because I had some work done to the car recently. Shocks, ball joints, and a sway bar. So I figured maybe someone left off a cotter pin or something like that. Well, when I checked everything out this morning I learned that the ball of the tie-rod popped out of the cup that it sits in.
Heres what gets me. I replaced the majority of the suspension with the heavy duty Moog "problem solver" parts about 2 years ago. In that 2 years I might have put 7000 miles on the car (Im a roadie so Im never home to drive it). I would think that if Moog can afford to put their name on every Nascar out there they should be making quality parts that dont put our lives in danger!
So I replaced the tie-rods (both sides) today with TRWs and all is good, no problems. Anyone else have a story like this?
And no, I didnt hit anything, I was on a smooth interstate for about 140 miles right before it happened.
Sorry for the long post, I feel better now. Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Very very strange indeed!
I assume you grease FE regularly?
Got any youngster's sneak borrowing the car & driving reckless?

Been using Moog for close to 25 years.
Heavy mileage/rough NYC streets, never a prob.

You got any enemies? j/k

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, Im the only driver and when Im away I diable the hell out of it and put a locking cover on it. Yep, everything gets greased with each oil change.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you still have that Rod?
I would call Federal Mogul[Parent Co.] Tech Line(800)325-8886, and describe your incident.

Not only should you be compensated for defective part, your call will alert them to a possible Quality Control :eek: issue.

If you call, I'd be curious to their reply!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by mattm:
.... Yep, everything gets greased with each oil change.
Mattm,

Are you SURE they are getting greased? Are you doing it yourself. It's the ONLY way to be sure..

I'm not flaming you, it's just that since I have upgraded my frontend with Del-a-lums and have been paying attention, I have noticed that only 1 out of ten times you got to Jiffy-Lube, Rapid-Lube etc that the grease fitttings are even looked at. It has gotten so bad to the point that I check the car before and after, and EVERY time for the past two Years since I have been paying attention my Grease fitting have NEVER been serviced at ANY Fast Lube type place. I have angrily confronted the managers at these locations with the PROOF that it wasn't done, even though their checklist says it was done, and most of the time they ALL just shrugged their shoulders and said that on average they get the fittings about every 5th time through.

Basically if you keep coming back we'll EVETUALLY get it done....maybe

I am so P.O. by the whole situation that I do my own servicing....Period.

Just be Sure....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been doing my own greasing/oil change for about 25yrs.

With the amount of fish scalers out there, I don't leave this to chance.
Even if these guys hit the Zerks, they're very likely to bust out the Ball Joint Boots{over grease}.

Btw, did you look in the ball pocket on Rod end to check for grease traces/metal particles?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do all my own work unless its a job too big for me to do myself. So all the fluid changes/greasings are done by me. I agree with the jiffy lube thing, those guys suck. The few times I did use them I stood there and watched their every move.
Thanks for that number, ill call Tuesday. Im sure they have the weekend off just like any good American. Not sure if ill be able to post what they say, I head back out on tour Tuesday but ill try to make it happen. Thanks for all the replies. Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I have never had a tie rod break - outside of a wreck on an oval track.
I had an inner tie rod earlier this year - (MOOG ES2020RL) [same p/N as our B-Bodies. (On my 75 Malibu) that stopped taking grease - I do all my own work and grease every other oil change [6K]. After inspecting it I noticed the back side was buldged out a bit.
The old design ones were flat on the back side.
I pulled it off and took it to the parts store and they replaced it for free. MOOG have a lifetime WTY.
The new design ES2020RLT has a slightly different back. This tie rod was approx 8 years old and had well over 100K of HARD miles on it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Must be an explanation.
7K on an Old or New design breaking like that is wacky.
Be nice if you could retrieve that piece, for further inspection. :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
let me see if I understand this correctly...

you broke a tie rod end, either inner or outer, and the car did NOT go vering out of control crashing into a guard rail, or another car.

did the tire keep on going straight ?
you were still able to limp the car home ??
only a grinding noise, but still had steering ??

are you sure you broke a tie rod end?
sure doesn't sound like it to me.......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually found a problem this weekend on my Lower Ball Joints on my wifes 99 Jimmy 4WD. I just replaced the entire front end with Moog about 3 weeks ago. I already have an extreme amount of vertical play in the passenger front ball joint and a some vertical play in the drivers side. The tapered end of the joint is completely seated and the nut is torqued properly. Now I have to tear the whole front end apart to replace these after 3 weeks and 1000 miles. I'm starting to woner about Moogs QC as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I question that too... If a Tie rod end actually broke, the wheel would kick to one side and lock, not allowing you to steer, let alone turn a corner...?????

Do you have a picture of this Matt? Someone must have been watching over you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now, Let's think about this: The Steering Gear Box "Pitman" arm Is Connected to the Center Link on one end, And the Idler Arm is Connected to the Center Link on the other end of it. The L&R Inner Tie rod ends also Connect to the Center Link. If you broke a Tie Rod (Or it Popped out)On Either Side, It seems to me that you would lose steering only on the side of the Car that the tie rod end popped out on? The other tie rods are still connected to the center link and therfore, Still connected to the Pitman Arm/Steering Box. I Agree that the side that popped out would swing around, "Uncontrollably" or just lock, But it seems like you would still have control of your steering on the other wheel?
One things for sure, If I Could have got it to the side of the road without any "Disasters" in the process, That's where it would have stayed until the Tow Truck came! Attempting to drive the car further is just "Asking for Trouble". My guess is that the Car would have been very difficult to just get it to the "Side of the Road". Never had this Happen to me So I Couldn't Accurately Described what it was like but in Theory, He should have still had control over steering on 1 Front wheel. If it was the "Outter" tie rod end that popped out, That would have only made the steering matters worse as you would have been dragging the tie rod assy still connected to the center link.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe caster kept the wheel without the tie-rod aimed straight. And when the wheel with tie-rod control steered, the tie-rod-less one turned with the vehicle, like an actual caster. Amazing if so.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have had this happen to me twice with 2 different results. The first time was on my parents 72 Ventura. When it broke the drivers wheel kicked to the left and I was forced off the road by the dragging wheel.
The other time I was in my buddies 81 MALIBU and we were hauling down a country road when we heard a clang noise. We thought we hit something in the road and kept on going for several miles till we slowed to make a turn and WHAM !! the tire kicked out and we came to a quick stop.
Now that I am older and wiser I check my suspension very carefully at every oil change.
I have not owned my 94 for very long and with only 73000 miles on the clock I replaced everything except for the control arm bushings due to what seemed like alot of wear. I guess its because its a big car with big wheels ??? My 85 GMC S-15 has 260000 on it and I just recently did a rebuild not due to the hard parts being bad but the bushings rotted out !!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry I havent responded, just flew out to start another leg of the tour.
It was the passenger side outter tie rod that broke. The "cup" popped off the "ball" if that makes sense. I still have all the parts but I wont be back home until August 1st so I cant post any pictures of it.
When it broke all I heard was a intermittent grinding noise, I belive this was from the tie rod bouncing off the road. All I noticed about the way it drove was it got real loose. But I still had control. So I pulled over and made a decision. It was late and I only had a few miles to go so I limped it home.
So as sonn as I get home Im going to redo the front end. Just for my own peace of mind. Anyone have any suggestions on brands I should use? Thanks for all the input so far, Matt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.