Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aside from the spring popping noise when I turn my wheel to back out of my driveway it feels like the wheels are dragging. You can feel what seems like the wheel is rolling over bumps. Any idea what that is?

thanks

Brian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been having similar problems. The swaybar is rubbed raw by the tires. I think the sound is the swaybar catching on the tread of the tire. As far as a fix, I haven't a clue. It's hasn't caused any damage from what I can see, besides having a shiny spot on the swaybar. I have Dunlop Sport Rover GT truck tires on stock rims, so that could have something to do with it

------------------

Victor Van ****
Tulsa, OK
95 BBB Impala SStreetwolf
K&N Filtercharger, homeplate delete, first base delete, TB coolant bypass, dynomax thrush exhaust, antenna mod, and many more mod's to come.
SStreetwolf.com
[email protected]
COIL - NAISSO #5848

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no expert here, but i think that's due to the inner wheel having a smaller turning radius than the outside one, and since both wheels are parallel to each other all the time, that's why it feels like it's "going over bumps" in other words, the inner wheel would need to be more angled than the outside wheel, but it's the same angle... so

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its not the radius, thats compensated for by the fact that front wheels can spin at different speeds, its rubbing on the swaybar, mine does it in forward and reverse

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds like it. I wasn't sure though. Appreciate the feedback.. I was worried that I had some sort of alignment problem.

Thanks

)Brian (

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It actually could be two things here
  1. <LI>Tires rubbing on the swaybar<LI>The fact that our wheels/tires are so wide!
On that second one, what happens is that the tire itself is so wide that the INSIDE of the tire is trying to turn at a different speed than the OUTSIDE of the SAME TIRE. Thus, the tread "binds" and it jumps a little bit.

It doesn't hurt anything, but it'll scare the crap outta you the first few times

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.