Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to tighten the Bilstein poly nut that comes with the front shocks? I have just used a regular nut until I figure out a way to tighten the poly nut while holding the shaft with a allen wrech.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I always use in impact. It keeps the shaft rom turning.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go to the parts store and get a Shock Removal Tool....it's about $10. It includes a sleeve that goes around the nut and lets you tighten the nut (with a wrench on the sleeve) while using an allen wrench to hold the shaft.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already bought the shock removal tool. The sleeve is not 17mm for the Bilsteins.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What didn't work with using an Allen wrench in the shaft and a regular box wrench on the nut? That's what I did. Required some flexibility and patience but it eventually worked.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for bilsteins you need the allen key for the top of the shaft. either an allen key or and allen head socket.

then use a 17mm gear wrench and crank it down.
mine had to be retighten 2 weeks after the initial install. they started squeaking.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up using a crow's foot wrench to tighten the shock with an allen wrench to hold the shaft. I read a post on the forum somewhere that you should tighten the upper shaft before the lower bolts. I felt the best way to do this was with the car frame on jackstands. Doing it this way left no way to tihten the nut with a wrench, as I could not get the wrench in from the side.

Thank you for the replys.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used a deep well socket w/ vise grips attached to the top of it then put a allen wrench thru the socket.hold the allen wrench and turn the socket, then turn both counterclockwise and repeat until the nut is tight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts