Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Tighten Bilstein shocks

346 views 7 replies 0 participants last post by  catdaddy 
G
#1 ·
What is the best way to tighten the Bilstein poly nut that comes with the front shocks? I have just used a regular nut until I figure out a way to tighten the poly nut while holding the shaft with a allen wrech.

G
#3 ·
Go to the parts store and get a Shock Removal Tool....it's about $10. It includes a sleeve that goes around the nut and lets you tighten the nut (with a wrench on the sleeve) while using an allen wrench to hold the shaft.

G
#6 ·
for bilsteins you need the allen key for the top of the shaft. either an allen key or and allen head socket.

then use a 17mm gear wrench and crank it down.
mine had to be retighten 2 weeks after the initial install. they started squeaking.

G
#7 ·
I ended up using a crow's foot wrench to tighten the shock with an allen wrench to hold the shaft. I read a post on the forum somewhere that you should tighten the upper shaft before the lower bolts. I felt the best way to do this was with the car frame on jackstands. Doing it this way left no way to tihten the nut with a wrench, as I could not get the wrench in from the side.

Thank you for the replys.

G
#8 ·
I used a deep well socket w/ vise grips attached to the top of it then put a allen wrench thru the socket.hold the allen wrench and turn the socket, then turn both counterclockwise and repeat until the nut is tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.