Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,364 Posts
.......LT1 market has been shrinking super fast over the years. If you want to keep our rides running and performing, remember to support the businesses that have supported our community over the years.......
A big thumbs up regarding Lloyd's business practices.....and about supporting our LT1 oriented businesses!!!

KW

·
Premium Member
8,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Been awhile but I finally installed the new LE cam. I'm not as thorough as Sherlock but here's how the installation went along with some pix for your viewing pleasure.

First the tear down was simple except for I did it on jack stands in my driveway during some of the hottest days of the year. Dropping the oil pan wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Everything was off except the last cam retainer bolt before I was able to remove the cam. And I strip it. Fortunately vise grips worked to get it out. It was more of a challenge removing the old cam then I expected. A little tricky but I took my time. It eventually cam out. Installing the new cam was just as challenging but patience and lots of assembly lube got it in. BTW, I know I used way too much lube for a hydraulic roller. Nab came over and helped me get the valve train back on along with the timing cover. He adjusted my race PCM. Moved up WOT shifts a few hundred rpms and tuned my street PCM for MPG. Getting the oil pan gasket on the bottom of the timing cover was a challenge but once again patience prevailed. Nab took off and I put it all back together and she fired up on the first try. Took it for a test drive. Drove great. New cam sounds about the same as the old. May been quieter.

First time I mashed the throttle, she bogged and the CEL came on. Stayed running and drove great. Did several WOT pulls to over 100 with zero issues. Took her home and gave Nab a call about the CEL. I was able to replicate the issue every time I took it out for a drive and gave it some throttle. During test driving I killed my alternator because I didn't not properly secure the positive cable to the back of it. It only happened once each time I took it for a drive. Took it to Nab's and he scanned it. low/high resolution error. Bad optical sensor on the new Opti from RA I installed. Ordered a new one off EBay.

Removed the bad new Opti. Installed new EBay Opti. Could get her to run. Removed Ebay Opti and discovered I did not have the cam pin lined up correctly. Reinstalled. Still did not run. Talked to Nab and he told me to put the old functioning one that I removed when I installed the new cam. Reason I did not reinstall it is because I wanted a spare for when I drive to/from and race at the track. So, install the one I know works and it doesn't run. This time the noises were louder, metallic and sounded like the starter was grinding.

What the hell! remove the Opti again! But this time I notice the WP sensor connector wires insulation is broken and wire is exposed and touching. We all know how well an LT1 runs with a bad WP temp sensor. Fix it and install a new WP temp sensor to be safe. Put the Opti back on and I break off the top left Opti bolt in the bolt. Great.

I tap the timing cover Opti mounting hole to 5/15 and drill out the Opti bracket hole to 5/16. Secure with a bolt. all good. Get the Opti on and fire her up. Runs perfect!

Take her for a drive and no issues whatsoever. Great oil PSI and engine temps. Love the cam. Does not feel bigger.

Back home I notice a piece a metal laying on the DW where the car was. It's a piece of the starter. Back up on the jack stands to pull the old busted up stock starter and throw on the new LT4 Corvette starter I had for a spare.

All good now. What an adventure! Made a few mistakes but learned a ton.

Finally was able to start with getting her ready for Nationals next week.

No headers yet.

Pix are posted in order of above mentioned events.

Before she came apart...

ATI damper hub removal with a 7/16 in fine all thread bolt

LT4 timing set

The intake gaskets were damaged. May have happened during the installation.

LE Stage 3 intake porting verified

Spacer for the ATI Damper

·
Premium Member
8,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Continued...

Old LE cam coming out

Old cam finally out!

Used a iPhone scope to check the cam bearings. Wasn't the useful because it was hard to see with the images

Enough lube! :LOL:

ATI Damper hub going back on with a 12 inch 7/16 in all thread and a bunch of washers and a 1/2 in socket

New Ebay Opti that didn't work. But maybe it does.

Broken opti bolt

5/16 tap in action

·
Premium Member
8,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Continued...

5/16 in bolt installed

Starter parts

Broken starter

New starter

Reactions: Chicagoareabmx

·
Premium Member
8,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

·
Premium Member
8,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Added an additional 75HP!

50HP from the skull and cross bolts vinyl sticker (Props to the Death Proof Nova) and 25HP from skull shifter hood ornament...

Reactions: Chicagoareabmx

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
" next time " with a keyed damper , you could use a full length pre LT1 crank key.
That said, not like you are running a blower or anything and the one front key is a billion times better than nothing 👍

·
Premium Member
8,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
21 - 30 of 30 Posts