Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had to do some service on my oil pressure sending unit because of a leak, and I removed the F-Body EGR Valve I bought back in 2004-2005.

I pumped EGR to 16" and it sloooowly leaked down to "0". It took 7 minutes to fully leak down.

Should it hold a vacuum indefinitely, or is it time for a replacement?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Going on 15 years old? Your extended luck could turn downhill real quick. Quit talking about it and replace it already or it'll start infecting other parts nearby! JMT ;)

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going on 15 years old? Your extended luck could turn downhill real quick. Quit talking about it and replace it already or it'll start infecting other parts nearby! JMT ;)
Yeah, yeah, yeah....Those were the same thoughts I had after I thought about it. It's got well over 120,000 miles on it anyway, so I just ordered a new (F-Body, I forgot to mention) unit off Amazon after I created the thread.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
I have dealt with this GM designed EGR for a very long time on many older vehicles than my 96 . these valves start to fail at about 10yrs. not miles its about the components breaking down.

also back in 1997 GM had a recall on the factory EGR valve that was installed it was defective and I was getting a 400 code .

leaking does happen but what also happens is the rubber gets stiff and will not properly work .. compare to to old you will feel the difference .

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have dealt with this GM designed EGR for a very long time on many older vehicles than my 96 . these valves start to fail at about 10yrs. not miles its about the components breaking down.

also back in 1997 GM had a recall on the factory EGR valve that was installed it was defective and I was getting a 400 code .

leaking does happen but what also happens is the rubber gets stiff and will not properly work .. compare to to old you will feel the difference .
Thanks, yeah the car did spend 5-1/2 years in central PA, and we did have some frigid weather (-20 to -30 W/out wind chill) while I was there. that was prob. not so friendly to the rubber as the Austin, TX climate.

So I got my money's worth out of it.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Now now now. Chinese anything is only junk the first few years they come on market with something. After that they reap all the feedback from hapless owners and gradually work through the issues and pick up quality - where they have to. With only one moving part on the valve they might be over the hump by now.

All that said, lord heavens are they ever totally past the curve on optis.:(

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Compared to replacing the EGR Valve, an EGR blockoff &or delete becomes a wiser investment with each passing day …

·
Super Moderator
8,232 Posts
7 minutes to leak out? It'll work fine. It's constantly supplied by engine vacuum when it's on so no worries. Once the leak rate overwhelms the vacuum flow from the solenoid, THEN you have a problem. Put it on the "eventually" list.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts