Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After many times starting the Roadmaster in the driveway in the wee hours of a bitter Chicago morn, it's time to install an auto start system. I don't want to put something in that's going to eventually turn into an electrical nightmare or not work when I need it. I'm going to want to get some recommendations on a quality system but should I consider a theft deterrent while I'm at it? My '95 Roadmaster woody wagon is just stock looking... except in the warm months when I have my custom Boyd Coddington wheels on it... and honestly, I haven't been too worried about somebody running off with it. However, I do take it through all kinds of neighborhoods and since we kitesurf, I do have a few thou in gear being toted many a time... although I've done the windows limo black to keep from advertising that. I have insurance for the car but when it comes right down to it, I'd really be at a loss if the car was stolen and never found with all the blood & sweat I have into restoring & maintaining this thing mechanically. I honestly don't know if spending a lot of $$ on just an alarm, especially when alarms can be defeated, is the smart thing to do. Maybe a club is all I need to keep someone from driving off with it???

But that said, I DO want to put a quality auto start in this thing so what do you guys know?!

I will also be COMPLETELY upgrading to a hi-fi audio system so if any of this ties in or might be a factor in my choice, please fill me in.

See, nothing that really says "steal me!". Windows have been waaay darkened since this pic.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i think if your gonna do a remote start you might as well do an alarm too, i think viper is the top brand, but i have a commando fm 870 i installed 1 year ago and i havent had any problems yet
So are you saying all these alarm systems come with auto start?

·
Registered
296 Posts
not sure what your asking, but mine is a commando, not a viper, but i hear viper is the best brand, and i'm sayin get a remote start/alarm combo, since your gonna have to wire the remote start might as well add a lil security while your under the dash, i would recommend a 2 way system so you can check the status of your car from a distance

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
As said above, you might as well add the security feature and really most remote starts have alarms built into them anyway. I, as recommended above, would go Viper, Python or Clifford. They are all the same company. Two ways are very nice and the units these days have up to 1/4 mile range if not longer.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just called my GM mechanic to see if he could give me a recommendation for a local auto start installer that I could trust and he quickly said, "I don't recommend them". He says there's a prob with them causing erroneous misfires and that he has taken his fair share off.

So what about this... is this a prob with a properly installed auto start system... even a top quality system??

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
There isn't a problem with them, IF THEY ARE INSTALLED RIGHT, your mechanic has probably dealt with the "other" guys installation. Or the cheapo get a remote start for 100 bucks installed. I would really like to hear his theory on why they cause misfires. Because if it is installed right and is a good system, you are essentially just installing a remote key to turn your car on. And if this was truly the case GM wouldn't install them from the factory. ;)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a local alarm installer, who I knew about but totally had forgotten, that came HIGHLY recommended from my trans guy whom I trust thoroughly for all my trans/diff stuff that I don't want to tackle myself. He adamantly challenged what my mechanic said.

So this guy installs Audiovox exclusively. In fact he says there are some things he doesn't like about the Python brands. Has anyone else had experience with an Audiovox keyless entry/remote start/alarm system?

This installer is a car guy... does restores... and is supposed to be very particular & meticulous. He offers a lifetime warr on the install and solders all critical connections. He tells me that visually, I won't be able to tell he installed a system when he's done.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
I am very meticulous on my installations as well.

I have never done an install with Audiovox, not stating that they are bad, but the name reminds of the crap stereo products they put out and I really never looked into them at all.

I haven't done hundreds of installs, probably 20 or 30 and they have always been Viper, Python or Clifford. Curious again on what his issues would be with these products. Every installation that I have done have NEVER had a problem with them.

Since curiosity is killing me I will dig up some stuff on Audiovox and see what they look like these days.

But really if he is offering a lifetime warranty on the installation it wouldn't hurt anything to have him install it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have never done an install with Audiovox, not stating that they are bad, but the name reminds of the crap stereo products they put out and I really never looked into them at all.
They make a very good for the money home component system digital cable. :)

I'd be interested in your opinions once you've investigated.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just talked with another installation shop owner who says ALL he'll install now is the Prestige, by Audiovox, systems. Says it's the only system that he hasn't had a lot of problems with (installed 175 last season and gonna beat that this) and that every aspect of it works well. He says he's done them all and has had some sort of issue with others, including top-end brands, or other brands had some part that didn't work well. i.e. cheaply made remotes, bad signal range, etc

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
That is interesting information about Audiovox, I did look into them a bit and it would seem that they bought out Code Alarm and all of those types. Probably a good system if he has installed that many without incidence. Go with what they recommend and make sure they warranty their installation and really you can't go wrong. I have just been around Viper, Python, etc. for so long it is the only name that comes to mind when asked to do an installation. I do know that some Viper/Python installations had problems with range, until the new stuff had come out and I haven't heard of anything since. But again if it is what they recommend go with it, you will be good.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had the Audiovox Code Alarm alarm/auto start installed. He was right... except for the antenna on the windshield, decently hidden above rearview mirror and the siren on the inside fender well, I can't even tell it's there. He even rust-proofed around where he had to drill for the siren. Definitely did it like I would have... and better than I could have. $320 included the system installed with a rear glass unlatch option & 2 remotes. Works great! For that kind of $$, didn't even make sense to attempt installing it myself.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
We traded the suburban off last month. Had to get something with better mpg.
Test drove a few HHR. Though i'm able to walk again and should stay that way, still want to keep a vehicle a wheel chair can fit in Justin Case. All of them had factory keyless and remote start except for the one we wanted to buy. Salesman said that if a deal breaker he would have it installed. Gave me name of installer, but couldn't get him to tell me what was being installed. Finally found out it was Audiovox pro series. I went online and found them for $49 on ebay and searched internet customer reviews which were all horrible. The advertised 1400 ft range was only 100 ft line of site. Customers had trouble starting from inside home. Went shopping on my own and found local audio shop and Viper dealer. Got car lot to cut check for amount they would have paid first installer ($300) to the viper dealer and I got Viper 5301 keyless entry/remote start. It was $349 plus $100 vehicle interface (09 HHR).
Love it,Love it,Love it!
2 way remote tells me if its locked, unlocked, if started, if run time is running out and option to extend, cabin temp. Turns on rear defrost if cabin temp is below 50. Turns on headlights with unlock. Starter failsafe= starter is disabled when locked with remote and during remote start, i.e. when i get in and forget and turn the key all the way forward it doesn't grind the flywheel.

Advertised 2000 ft remote range. I have yet to find the distance it doesn't work. I was at the back side of Walmart supercenter and it started the HHR. Customer reviews: one person says it starts from the office 10 floors up. Others state start from far end of shopping mall. It always signals the remote back to confirm. Even tells you if remote battery are getting low.

I didn't get alarm system with it. The antenna on the glass has blinking blue led along with the blinking security symbol in the cluster and there are 100 other HHR sitting in the same parking lot and mine is base model, lol.

Installed my own on the 99 Suburban, had to measure resistance value coming from PCM to bypass the passkey system and soldier 3 resisters to get the correct value. Then the remote range was a joke, it wasn't a viper. I was glad someone else was doing this one. But I admit always doing my own stuff, it was killing me to sit out front the stereo shop while the installer was having all the fun in the back. I would have like them to ask me where i wanted the glass mounted antenna, instead of right top of drivers view were the installer put it
. HHR has a low roof line so I can see the antenna while driving, but already gotten use to it.

First post on here in long long time. Nice to see some names I still recognize. Been in hospital twice and two 4 month rounds of physical therapy. Been about a year as Beachbody coach after using power90 (orignal wimpier version of P90X) to build leg strength. Lost 40 pounds with it. Starting P90X now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts