Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently checked and adjusted the timing on my 93 RM. I disconnect the tan connector on the side of the intake before doing so. The timing was set at about -4 degrees. I advanced it to +2 degrees.

My question is: Can I monitor detonation/knock? Is there an OBD 1 scan tool that will do that, and if so what are my options?

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
You should set the timing at "0" degrees, as per the FSM. The computer controls the timing, and it is designed to work properly at "0". If it knocks, the knock sensor will retard the timing so that it does not knock. You could hook a meter up to the knock sensor, so that if you have a knock, the meter will move. Other than that, you are looking at a multifunction scope that will not fit in your car.

You will not find any appreciable amount of power increase with a 2 degree advance, and may actually get less power.

The only way to get more out of your engine is to do extensive modifications.

You are limited in what you can do to the LO5 in these cars because of the overall design of the heads, intake and exhaust.

For more HP, you need to shell out some bucks. Heads, intake, cam, headers, dual exhaust, carb or aftermarket injection, computer, and a lot of tweaking. The basic block and rotating assembly is good, it is just the rest of the engine.

I put an LT1 cam in mine, enlarged the intake manifold for a 46mm TBI, installed shorty headers, dual exhausts, and put a custom chip in the computer. I get about 250 HP. I had to do a number of custom fitting of things as well. That was a lot of money and work for 70 HP. I am installing dual electric fans from a 93 FW, that will give back about another 5 HP.

If you pull your own LQ4, and you can do your own work, you can install one for about $2500.

·
Registered
65 Posts
hi check into tuner pro rt you use with a cable and laptop .which I have for my 94 roady it shows the knock sensor and what it senses and shows you knock retard , o2s ,etc

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and setting me straight. I guess I'm just missing the power of my 12 second daily driver 87 Turbo Regal, and realizing it's not going to happen with the RM. I'll just sit back, relax and enjoy the drive in my RM.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts