Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone ,ok ive been getting my a$$ kicked with this timing chain replacement, its been a big pain in the a$$ that's all i got to say,so long story short,car has 240,000 miles,had to replace oil pan gasket so hell i figured i might as well dig into the timing cover since oil pan was off,well i got the cloyes c3039 kit and installed the crank sprocket i got the crank sprocket dot at 12 o'clock, and i got the chain dangling from the cam sprocket and the dot at 6 o'clock but the cam sprocket wont go over the dowel pin,its like the chain is short but it isn't, cant get the dam thing to line up with cam holes or over dowel pin which is at 3oclock ,what is the trick to get it to seat right with chain on??? There is no detail info on this subject nowhere,just procedures and pictures, where are the videos at? Somebody help me out .

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Been a while on an lt1 but remember the long dowel .
Try this, with everything lined up and ready to slide on turn the cam pin to about 4-5 o'clock.
Slide the gear on the pin while the gear is low.
Now lift the gear up turning the cam back to 3 o'clock .
Start a bolt only as a guide, not to pull the gear on.

If you have all the valvetrain assembled and cant turn the cam, then you can get the same result by turning the crank counter clockwise.
Once over the pin turn the crank back while lifting the gear into place.

This does not always work depending on chain type.

If it doesn't you have to go back to the beginning and pull the crank gear back off and assemble the "right" way.
Together

·
Super Moderator
8,676 Posts
When I did one recently, I just rotated the crankshaft back and forth a bit to get everything to line up then the cam gear went over the dowel. Then bolt it in and make sure the dots align. It can be a frustrating process for sure. I did NOT remove the crankshaft gear.

UPDATE / EDIT - to be clear, this was a Cloyes stock replacement. It had just enough play to get the cam gear on. I cannot speak for an upgraded timing set like what 95wagon refers to.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I did one recently, I just rotated the crankshaft back and forth a bit to get everything to line up then the cam gear went over the dowel. Then bolt it in and make sure the dots align. It can be a frustrating process for sure. I did NOT remove the crankshaft gear.

UPDATE / EDIT - to be clear, this was a Cloyes stock replacement. It had just enough play to get the cam gear on. I cannot speak for an upgraded timing set like what 95wagon refers to.

Well atleast im not the only one who thought this was frustrating, but i got it on finally, just had to offset the dots a little bit and engage the chain and turn the crank clockwise and the two dots finally met sheesh, the new chain has the same amount of slack so i dont think I'll ever touch one again 😅, and now i cant find one of the cam sprocket bolts ...inhale ,exhale, I guess I'll have to take a trip to the bolt store🤦🏼‍♂️

Thank you guys for you help.if anyone who reads this post and still doesn't understand feel free to pm me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts