Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Timing retard on nitrous?

10K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  The Bolt-On Terror 
#1 ·
Hi from SWEDEN.
I wonder what kind of retarder I use best to retard ignition when I use nitrous! I only want to retard ignition in one step.(5-9deegrees.)
I have MSD-opti and MSD 6AL BOX ON MY CAR.
Sincerly Frank.:)

#3 · (Edited)
Yes, the Digital 6 will give you the retard. However, if you're running anything over a 50-shot with a streetable torque converter, you should run a window switch, so I used the Mallory 685 box, which has a built-in window swtich.
And that's 4 degrees per 100 hp of nitrous.

#4 ·
that mallory is a pretty nice unit.I was gonna upgrade from my 6AL to a digital 6.I have a vigilante 2800 stall in my 95 SS ,so would it be better to upgrade to the mallory?and also I have the MSD blaster coil how would that wire into the mallory or would I have to upgrade to a mallory coil and which one if you know off hand?

#5 ·
Since you're already running an MSD box, I assume you have their harness that adapts to the coil plug. If so, the Mallory box will be a direct plug-in replacement for the MSD box. I used the MSD adapter harness with the Mallory box.

#7 ·
I use to have the Mallory 685 and loved it! It's not very expensive and does everything. :)

No need to buy "pill", everything is adjustable. Soft rev-limiter, 2-step, timing retard, window switch, etc.

#9 ·
#11 ·
Pretty sure it was discontinued.

#12 ·
I have a Mallory 685 in perfect condition. $150 shipped in continental US.
PM me. I haven't used it since pulling the stock motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.