Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after reading Nashsurecanpaints how to and watching many you tube videos I decided to give it a shot. Let me start off by saying if you are doing this yourself to save money think again. Unless you have all the supplies already your supplies and time will out weigh paying someone else to do it. My reasoning for doing it is simply the fact that I like to do as much of my own work as possible.
Started off with 800 grit to smooth out the bigger imperfections and sand off the DOT numbers on the lenses. This only took about an hour to do. Then I taped everything off except the chrome strip in the middle. My plan is to plasti dip the strip. Then I will remask the rest tomorrow to spray the VHT Nite Shade, and then follow the rest of Nashs steps. Heres pics of the progress so far.
DOT Numbers

Numbers gone

· Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rustoleum's lens tint works better than nightshade, I half assed my S10's lights and they came out great.

With the prep you're putting in, they'll be stellar!
Thanks for the heads up for next time. Never seen Rustoleums brand before.

· Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm the same way. I've been thinking about doing the same
thing as well but i am not sure it will look right because I have
DGGM Impala.
I hear ya. That's why I grabbed these tail lights from the junk yard. Figured if I didn't like them or the cops harrass me too much it will be easy to swap the stocks back on. My plan is to do a very light tinting to try and avoid trouble with the man. Lol.

· Registered
1,333 Posts
Thanks for the heads up for next time. Never seen Rustoleums brand before.

It's available at your local Auto Zone. I used it for my Tails, and front corners, worked great, and is holding up fantastic

· Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks nice 1phastss! Did u tape off your backup light lense? How many coats did you use? Also you runnin LEDs or are the tails bright enough without them?

· Registered
318 Posts
Hey man For my tinted tails there was about 8 coats of the tint applied with 3 coats of clear after all the prep work (correct me if I'm wrong Nash) and I have just the stock tail light bulbs and it shows just fine during the day and looks super sexy at the night time ;) Ill try and get a photo tonight.

Second photo is during the day with brakes applied.

Attachments

· Registered
432 Posts
Hey man For my tinted tails there was about 8 coats of the tint applied with 3 coats of clear after all the prep work (correct me if I'm wrong Nash) and I have just the stock tail light bulbs and it shows just fine during the day and looks super sexy at the night time ;) Ill try and get a photo tonight.

Second photo is during the day with brakes applied.

nice :D

· Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not 100% sold on this project yet. Got the trim Plasti Dipped and a couple of coats of nite shade on. They appear to be very dark though. Will have to see in the daylight with bulbs behind them. Still adding clear to them as we speak.

· Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still holding out hope they are not too dark. After 4 coats of clear the camera flash shows the red reflecting so my fingers are crossed. Not sure why but on the clear reverse lense part there is some cracking. Might have to sand that part back down to clear if the wet sanding and buffing does not make it look better.

· Registered
290 Posts
i had the same problem with mine the clear area cracked. im gonna redo mine when i get my car back and may just leave the clear part untinted

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Hey man For my tinted tails there was about 8 coats of the tint applied with 3 coats of clear after all the prep work (correct me if I'm wrong Nash)
Correct, However the tint I use is a custom mix, and should not be a guide for using nightshade. I mix my tint very light so I have allot of control over how dark I get them. That way I avoid the situation "threes not dark enough but fours too dark". Just one of the advantages of doing it with the professional stuff.

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Let me start off by saying if you are doing this yourself to save money think again. Unless you have all the supplies already your supplies and time will out weigh paying someone else to do it.
I must agree. Now if you have to ship your lights to someone (like myself) you may be getting into a bit more money than it would cost DYI.

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Not sure why but on the clear reverse lense part there is some cracking.
I also get that sometimes, 99% of the time the clear fills in the cracks and after sanding and buffing they smooth out. You may want to lightly sand (1500) your lights and put on a couple more coats of clear to help with that. the professional clear is sooo much thicker, it fills in the cracks easily.

If you or anyone ever needs advise PM me or even call me 1-417-489-3379. I'll walk you through your problems the best I can (my experience with spray paint is rather limited though)

Lastly feel free to add tips on the thread I did. You may have figured out something I left out

· Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also get that sometimes, 99% of the time the clear fills in the cracks and after sanding and buffing they smooth out. You may want to lightly sand (1500) your lights and put on a couple more coats of clear to help with that. the professional clear is sooo much thicker, it fills in the cracks easily.

If you or anyone ever needs advise PM me or even call me 1-417-489-3379. I'll walk you through your problems the best I can (my experience with spray paint is rather limited though)

Lastly feel free to add tips on the thread I did. You may have figured out something I left out
Got them wet sanded and buffed tonight. Look pretty good for my first time doing that kind of work. Only thing bothering me is the reverse lense. The cracks did not fill in. Thinking about giving it a little more time to all fully cure and then tape off the rest of the light and sand the reverse lenses back down. Not sure if I will try nite shading them again or just leave them white.
After wet sanding and buffing they do not appear to be as dark as in the previouse pics. Installed in the car and the lights where still visible. It was not sunny out today though so that still remains to be seen.
Thanks for the write up Nash. They would not have turned out near this well with out it.

· Registered
1,333 Posts
Looks nice 1phastss! Did u tape off your backup light lense? How many coats did you use? Also you runnin LEDs or are the tails bright enough without them?
Sorry I missed your response. I am using 2357 Bulbs, and 2057 Silver Star Bulbs for the Back Ups . I did tape off the backup light area (just to be different) Used 4 coats and there is NO problem with them being visible day or night. I just had to have her inspected (NO Problems passing) and I even received a compliment from one of our finest Local Officers on how good they blended in with the car.

If your worried about the light quality of the bulbs brightness you can also do the "BUCKET MOD"

http://www.sequentialtaillights.com/buckets.html

http://www.sequentialtaillights.com/socketplate-inst.html

Yours looks good BTW

· Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Could not wait any longer to do some more work on these lights so I got the reverse lense sanded back down. Now I need some input. Do they look good with that part still white or should I try and repaint them and hope for better results the second time around. Let me know your thoughts pleas.

· Registered
432 Posts
Could not wait any longer to do some more work on these lights so I got the reverse lense sanded back down. Now I need some input. Do they look good with that part still white or should I try and repaint them and hope for better results the second time around. Let me know your thoughts pleas.
i like !:D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.