Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just picked up a 1996 impala it runs but it has a cracked block. Oil and water are mixing where ever the crack is. I have another block to redo everything. No big deal. But my question is. What would be some options for a minimum of 400hp at the crank?

The only issue I have is I live in North Carolina, and the car is a 1996 which is OBD II. What could I get away with and still be able to pass the inspection. As far as I know as long as the check engine light isn't on. I can pass. I know people that will let me go with no catalytic converters. But you can't trick the computer when you hook it up to the cars ECU.

Bore/stroke?
heads?
cam?
torque converter?
rear end? (3.73 felt reasonable in my 1994 cobra might go that route again)
Intake?
exhaust?
Tuner?
wheels?(black 16inch bullet holes with 315s in the back)

I want to stay away from forced induction, and Nos
im aiming to make a car that I could daily drive if my daily driver died on me. So for now just something to drive on the weekends.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Since you're starting from scratch, there's way too much you need to know about for anybody to re-type it all in a post.
Go to the top of the performance section and read through the stickies, especially this one:
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=228114

After digesting the information from all those stickies for a while, lots of people here will be able to help with specific questions.

400 crank hp will be a piece of cake and can pass emissions in any state, as long as whoever builds and tunes it knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
If I were starting from scratch, I'd order a motor from Mike Harris at B body Performance.
He's in Ohio which is not too far from NC. In any case, he's one of the best at any distance!

Here's a post you can send him a message from:
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=334394

He's 1FAST94

Nab

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
The only issue I have is I live in North Carolina, and the car is a 1996 which is OBD II. What could I get away with and still be able to pass the inspection.
There are no problems with your goals in NC.

What part of the state are you from?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.