Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys's I'm about to jump in on fitting and installing my new smoothies before I send the car to paint. Are there any tips or tricks to this process? I hope that I can take what ever advice I get and add good pictures to make a nice write up.

Future Write Up will have new thread. (I hope)

· Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow 96 views with no response. Alright I guess I'll just press on ahead and take pictures every step of the way.

· Registered
1,189 Posts
From what most say urethane are the best to work with. and extremly east to install. maybe thats why they havnt chimed in? either that or the many that had so much to say about them have no experince with urethane bumpers.
either way just take your time with it, patience is key when ever installing and fitting aftermarket parts. or let the body shop do it and save yourself the headache.

· Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd love to but I'm in a place where the headache should hopefully be less expensive then the body shop install. I can't imagine it to be that difficult, just time consuming.

· Registered
3,886 Posts
I dont see the big deal,unless the smoothies dont have holes to mount..If thats the case you have the original cover to go off of.

Taking off the original cover should give you all the answers you need.I cant think of any special tips/tricks.

Is their anything in specific we maybe able to answer??

SIDE NOTE:I wouldnt recommend any body shop painting a b body with the bumper covers on. that just seems half assed.
These poly bumpers covers require special attention,in which they will not get(properly) if left on car.

· Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I trust the shop to do very well. The bumpers will be removed for paint. As will the little trim at the bottom of the doors and so on and so forth. I just figured if I get them on the car before I take it in I won't worry about wrecking any paint while I cut holes for mounting and all that good stuff.

· Registered
3,886 Posts
I always thought the poly ones came with mounting holes,The fiber glass one I had bought didnt,It was not fun installing those by myself. I guess a good tip would be to have some help lining them up while the other person drills the holes.
Just be patient,this will be the first time i see a ppm with smoothies.Looking forward to it.

· Registered
530 Posts
Urethane bumper install basics...

Measure, Measure, Measure........ Now drill that hole
Seriously though you really need to take your time and line everything up to get a good job. And no the urethanes I purchased did not come with holes. You have got to drill each hole. I reccomend you purchase new hardware for the install. you know the funny little fasteners that are plastic and act like a wedge anchor. Get new ones. If you are using the front fender trims be careful to not spin out the threads in the screws. Use a drill to pre-drill the holes and then hand tighten with a screw driver. Add a little dab of black RTV sealant when you do the final install after paint to those fender trims and the screws will stay in place and not back out. Make sure your bumpers are fit just the way you like em before painting. *** assemble, Paint, Re-install

Good luck

· Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plan on replacing as much of the cheap plastic fasteners with stainless bolts, washers, and nuts.

· Registered
227 Posts
You will prob have to remove the bumper support shims. also be ready to drill a small hole in the bumper shock and tap them in about a half inch with a hammer. IIRC nobody has found a urethane smoothie that just goes on, and most of them come from the same manufacturer. I have lots of pics from when my car was painted if you want.

This topic was covered well b4 the crash.

· Registered
541 Posts
the best way to do is try to put it on and figure out
1-how many shims you have to take out
2- if you have to drill a hole on your bumper support or not
3- make sure it fits
4- take it out and have the body shop paint it first

then start with step one after painting
this is what my body man did when he painted mine
and it is not a bad idea to drill the gas out of bumper support and then weld where it suit your bumper cover (to fit properly)

here are the pics I took during the whole process
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb309/ahoorakia/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.