Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 95 9c1 with the impala ss 17 inch wheels when i turn the car all the way to the right i notice a wabble of the tire so i check it out and found out that the trie was rubbing on the stabilizer bar when i turn it all the way to the right,the left side rub a little but barely,what can i do to solve this problem

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A stock SS will do that. You can get bigger steering stops but they will change your steering raduis negatively. Most of us just live with it.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Dwayne!what about a wheel spacer,another stabilizer bar, any one with other idea

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most other bars will be thicker and still rub, I have no specific knowledge of any that do not. Good spacers will cost a lot of money. There is still the steering stop option and those are a GM part.
The only problem with the rubbing is the shiny spots on the bar and in my case on the frame behind the a-arm. Mine has rubbed ocasionally for years and there is no damage to the tires. I put a lot of miles(86K in 3.5 years) on and use those tires and rims April thru October.

Why are you so worried about fixing it, just a damage concern, or is it something else?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just wanted to know if it would cause a problem or it could be fixed.pluse it seem like this disc is loose i tighten the lugs but it still lose, i'll have to look at it again tommorrow

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rubbing will cause no problem.

The loose disc thing is not fixed by tightening lugs, under the cap on the center of the rotor is a nut that needs tightening, your wheelbearings are probably a little worn and this will take up the slack. From your post I gather that you are kind of new to mechanics so I suggest getting at least a Haynes manual($10-15) for the car the factory service manual is better but cost a whole lot more like around $100. This will give you good instructions on how to tighten that nut, while you are there you might consider repacking or replacing the wheelbearings.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by 96capriceMGR:
Rubbing will cause no problem.

From your post I gather that you are kind of new to mechanics so I suggest getting at least a Haynes manual($10-15) for the car the factory service manual is better but cost a whole lot more like around $100.
What helped me when I was in that situation was......This Forum.. I have learned, which I knew nothing about, tons of things. Once I read certain posts, things began making sense. Now, I am not a die hard mechanic, but this forum let me save $$ on:
Changing my WP
Changing the radiator
Lowering the SS
changing the serp belt instead of buying a new ac compressor when it was squeaking.
etc.
The forum has also cost money though:
Smokeys carpets,
Lowering Springs,
Bilsteins,
motorvac,
down to a red bowtie,
etc.

If you read on a regular basis (even things you dont need or have too much interest in), you will be that much more knowledgable when something goes wrong. And it will ;)
Today I learned some info on rr's and valve springs!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts