Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look at page 26 of your new Summit catalog(got mine today) Addco now has control arms for up in std. and extended as well as adjustable uppers and all are available in titanium as well! For those of you with deeper pockets than myself of course.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn never saw your site before, I think we can do buisiness in the future, maybe not on this item but others for sure. The bars look interesting and priced right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wayne : that hasn't stopped someone else I know from throwing on the 1 1/8" Addco front and 1" Addco rear bars before (on an SS) and SWEARING they got a handling upgrade out of it ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 1 1/8" is a stock replacement. The reason we have it up is because some people want to upgrade to the Impala/9C1 setup, I suppose.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be interested to hear some feedback on ti control arms. My understanding is that titanium is a little flexier, but stonger, than steel is. The specific alloy of titanium matters as well. Which are we taking about here? It will take more fatiuge cycles through a bigger range, etc, but may be more prone to deflection under load. Is this an advantageous upgrade? Also, titanium is more difficult to weld. It is much more sensitive to oxygen contamination in the weld than steel. The welder has to be careful to flush the weld area with an inert gas like argon to prevent contamination, which will seriously compromise the integrity of the finished product.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think you will get feedback on these for awhile, I believe they are very new. As far as the flex they have to be stiffer than the stockers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As far as the flex they have to be stiffer than the stockers.
I don't doubt that. It was late and I was into several tall cold ones when I posted. I think what I meant to say is that they would be flexier than a steel part with the same shape or a big boxy aluminum part. You would end up having to use more material in ti to make it stiff, at which point you start to lose the advantage of ti, which is lighter weight. I'm assuming here of course that you want the LCA to be rigid as opposed to springy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spoke to Addco, and they said the arms aren't available yet due to a materials problem. I'll update as I hear it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know that in serious handling applications aftermarket steel upper can cause binding. GW is patening a solution from my understanding. Anyone care to comment on wether titanuim might allow enough flex to avoid the binding without having to get into funky joints and stuff like I am sure GW had to? Or is the more flex titanium allows really just a minor amout and really would not come into plan on such a short part?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.