Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In some adds I see "title in hand" or not "title in hand" What does that mean??

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
It means they have the actual vehicle title in their possesion. I've went to buy cars before only to find that the owner can't find the title or has to apply for a new one. Title in hand means they shouldn't have to do any of that.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don´t understand! Why wouldn´t they have the cars title?:confused:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because the car is financed and the lien holder has the title until it is paid off.
So that´s how it works! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do they do it some other way in Sweden?

I don´t know I always paid my cars cash but I do know that you get to keep the title.
So I Think I will go for a "title in hand" car then.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Since you're over there and the car is over here, have the vehicle police-checked before any money changes hands. Not just carfax. KNOW the VIN's are right and that the title you are getting is the current title and that someone at some point did not file a lost title then stick a lien on the car, making the "title in hand" as valuable as old newspaper.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Also

It's important to distinguish whether the car has been issued a 'salvage title' designating it has been 'bought back' by the owner from the insurance company after having been damaged enough to have been 'totaled'. Insurance companies usually divest themselves of otherwise non-saleable severely damaged cars at GREAT discount back to the current owner, who can either transfer all his upgrades onto another car and sell remainder parts for profit, or, rebuild and put the car back in running order. However, the savings are seldom passed on to a new buyer.

A salvage title customarily carries with it an unattractive stigma for future sale, along with potential complication and/or higher premiums when the buyer attempts to insure his purchase.

Is the insurance and titling setup pretty similar there?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's important to distinguish whether the car has been issued a 'salvage title' designating it has been 'bought back' by the owner from the insurance company after having been damaged enough to have been 'totaled'. Insurance companies usually divest themselves of otherwise non-saleable severely damaged cars at GREAT discount back to the current owner, who can either transfer all his upgrades onto another car and sell remainder parts for profit, or, rebuild and put the car back in running order. However, the savings are seldom passed on to a new buyer.

A salvage title customarily carries with it an unattractive stigma for future sale, along with potential complication and/or higher premiums when the buyer attempts to insure his purchase.

Is the insurance and titling setup pretty similar there?
It works pretty much the same way over here but I don´t Think the title says that the car has been damaged, flooded or bought back after an accident. I´m almost sure it don´t.

It´s true as vanaisa sais and then we have to pay our dmv to do the same check again! Totally loss of time and Money!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But you are in EU Mattia and you have freedom to register your car wherever it is best for you.
I am sure, that at least in Latvia, Lithuania and in Poland you dont need to pay re-checks, also customs taxes, insurance etc are cheaper. :)
That is true at least when it comes to cars older than 30 years. I don´t know what rules apply to newer cars in EU.
A lot of people over here ship their cars via Holland. Pay the custom fees, import tax etc and then bring it into Sweden as EU goods.
As it is now I pay all and all 38% extra on the purchase price, shipping insurance and shipping. However we have strong organisations working for our cause to make it better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts