Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has replaced thier ball joints with the heavy duty upgraded ones? For those who have not and still autocross and roadrace, have you had any problems? Reason I ask is by the end of the autocross season this year I want to have the Roadmaster autocross prepped with F-body front bar, HO-Ha rear, Dal shocks, either stock SS or Eiback springs, New tires and wheels and the upgrade if needed. If I dont have to spend the extra $500 in parts plus my labor to do the ball joint upgrade then I would prefer to do this unless it IS UNSAFE! Feedback from as many people as possible would be appriciated. Thanks, Matt D

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On occasion I autocross my '96 Impala and I've done lots of suspension upgrades, but not the ball joints. No problems to report. Who knows what lies around that next decreasing-radius corner tho'. . . I'll be interested to see what other people say.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have autocrossed and road raced. I opted to stick with the stock ball joints. I'm sure bigger ball joints are stronger. But, so far so good on the stock original 1994 ball joints! :D

Mike

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are a number of folks who have opted to do the 5/8" ball joint upgrade. I think it certainly provides an extra measure of strength and insurance but I would not consider it mandatory. I have 4+ years of autocrossing on my 96. Lowers were both SHOT at 77K All steering linkage has been replaced betwen 70 & 80K Upper ball joints and bushings are still factory and are OK.
I grease everything at least every 6K or whenever I am inspecting things.
I opted to replace the lower ball joint with stock size replacements - I would however stongly recommend using only MOOG or Perfect Circle (ACDelco)components.

The key is to properly maintain and regularly inspect averything on a car that you drive hard! When things start to get worn you need to change them.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I regularly auto-x my '96 SS, plus have a "spirited" driving style as its my daily driver (I hit a cloverleaf 5 times a week on my way to school for 2 years now). I just did some suspension work before this auto-x season, and decided to change both my uppers and lowers "while I was in there". I stuck w/ the stock size ball joints, but opting for the "truck" application lower ball joint. No problems at all.

HTH,

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got two and a half years of auto x and very spirited city driving since new, 4/95. Checked them about three months ago, 65000 miles on the clock and they're still tight. Keep them greased and they should last quite a long time. I don't see the need to upgrade but bigger is better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts