Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to ask you guys and gals a question. I am seriously thinking about up grading the hp issue with my 91 cappy classic. I've searched and looked in here and most popular of course is to just swap out a LT1. The thing is, living right on the border, I have access to some very cheap 9C1 from the mexican police. What I'm afraid of is the whole comp swap out and for some reason, that opty box behind the water pump does not give me the warm fuzzy. I'm basically looking for a nice highway passing on demand car. I was just thinking about making the 305 a 327 which should make,with the proper stuff, 300 hp. And no I am not going to sell my faithful baby to get a beat up cop car that was probably beat to s**t and back with no remorse. I appreciate your info. Laters..

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Someone commented elsewhere that there are plenty of 383" TBIs out there. Check 3rd-Generation (I think?) Camaro forums for more info.

I wouldn't swap an LT1 either, I don't think. Might as well build a solid motor out of what you have! :D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
an lt1 swap is very demanding for a TBI car. much more than just the engine needs to be replaced. but just about any standard small block can drop right in i suppose. an lt1 swap would be nice but other engines would be easier with same if not more hp.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
(Sorry to take this off-topic a bit)

Blake-
Can you describe your list of "Ultimate TBI" mods? That's all I saw on your page. Thanks!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its an old trick the TBI camaro/firebird guys have been doing. basically, take a throttle body and dremel the hell out of it, to keep airflow smooth through TBI. smoothening opening of TB bores, grinding down throttle body shafts, etc.

they have a write up here:

http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/ultimatetbi2.shtml

no large gains but it cant hurt

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
another site for "ultimate TBI" mods

ozzy, have you thought about getting just a 350 TBI? probably find one cheap, and would be a very simple swap. a TPI engine might work well too but i dunno if that would be any harder...

but at least the 350 tbi would be very straightforward. but then again, probably not big enough hp gains to start off with...

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have been eyeing a new engine for my 68 elky and I want to swap the 383 it has right now into the Caprice. I'm not to worried about the EFI because I'm going to upgrade that anyway. My primary concern is I would like to keep the seprentine belt sys. The 383 has Trickflow heads on it and I'm not to sure if it will fit the system. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Oscar

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oz, I'd be willing to bet that the Trick Flow's wouldn't be an issue. I have a buddy with an 89 Formula with a 383 TPI and an ATI ProCharger with Trickflows on it, and he has retained all of his O.E. serpentine system. HTH a bit. Good luck with the swap! Rahn

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm starting to wonder what kind of power could be gotten from the L05, like with a stroker kit (waaaaaaaay down the line). Reading past threads with excellent advice from Ken Rolt and others, as well as what I vaguely remember from the 9C1 mailing list, it seems like the work doesn't gain too much. Vortec heads and manifold (and possibly distributor for clearance issues), Cadillac air "box" with Team SS-type cold air box, B-car LT1 cam, dual or big-single exhaust... all to get to the LT1's power or maybe a bit more.

Sure, it'd probably be cheaper than buying an LT1 car, but how about swapping a RamJet 350? Or what kind of power could one get out of a 383" or 396" L05? Any opinions?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
383 is a great idea for the caprice. the torque will really help. Check out http://mcclureracing.com for their 383. it looks like a forged longblock would be around $4300 and if you contact Kelly R.(GhoSSt) he will set you up with the fuel injection. But yeah, for the money, the LT1 swap isnt the best bang-for-the-buck, more of a look what I did. HTH

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ozzy,
I'm not sure I would sink the money into a 305. I might look at a 91 Chevy pickup 1500. It has the 350 TBI and will respond better to less money. And there are about a Bazillion of these motors around. A very popular combo is to: Do a .030 over block, a set of Vortec heads from GM ($400 pair complete)and a Vortec TBI manifold. Add Headers and your choice of cams. A fuel pressure regulator is a good idea to make sure the TBI is getting what it needs. I would also add 3.42 or 3.73 rear gears. Should be an awesome ride with great torque.
Good luck man.
JP

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was me posting that.

When I was looking around for a solution to my L03 problem, I stumbled across several 383's using GM TBI set-ups. That ultimate TBI set up is how most of them went and at least one with the Holly truck replacement body.

The LT1 is bear to swap in, and it isn't just an engine swap.

But if I was doing it all over with an unlimited budget...

I think I'd get the HT383 crate motor and use a Holly 4bbl TBI set-up. It would have been a ton simpler, and just as powerful, if not more so.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i agree, an lt1 swap is a little too much. although it would be something cool to do, there is better options out there. i was all about the lt1 swap, in fact i was near close to buying a fellow club owners lt1, but backed out at the last minute when i realized just what all was involved. someday i still might do something like that but money/time/life doesnt permit it just yet.

remember, an LT1 is already kind of a performance engine, where as the L05 is not. it already gets electric fans, dual exhaust, a better cam/heads. its not that the L05 itself is really that slow, it just doesnt get the "performance" spec parts the LT1 does.

so now my L05 is kind of a project. i want to see just how fast it can go. yea sure, i could always drop in a gas guzzling crate or take some time and drop a LT1 in. but i can be content with 14sec 1/4 times (my goal). an mpfi-converted L05 with vortec heads (which are really just LT1 heads with conventional flow) with dual exhaust and electric fans and such, being now more up to par parts-wise with the LT1 would probably compare similarly in performance with an LT1, if not better.

and true, that is a lot of work, but isnt that where the FUN is?!?! :D :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
An LO5 with a better cam, and better flowing TBI (mod or replace with aftermarket) should run pretty good actually. But try finding one if your car didn't come with one. NOW try finding one that doesn't need rebuilt. I looked long and hard and couldn't find one. But there are lots of pick-up engines out there, not sure what RPO the 5.7l truck motor is, but it makes a ton of torque.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by McThag:
An LO5 with a better cam, and better flowing TBI (mod or replace with aftermarket) should run pretty good actually. But try finding one if your car didn't come with one. NOW try finding one that doesn't need rebuilt. I looked long and hard and couldn't find one. But there are lots of pick-up engines out there, not sure what RPO the 5.7l truck motor is, but it makes a ton of torque.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you really want an L05 and can't find one, you could always
buy a new one! hehe

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"but i can be content with 14sec 1/4 times (my goal). an mpfi-converted L05 with vortec heads (which are really just LT1 heads with conventional flow) with dual exhaust and electric fans and such"

The electric fans and dual exhaust really isnt that hard. You can pull the fans for under $50 at a junkyard or pay about $100 from a member. Pep Boys sells a Hayden relay specifically made for dual electric fans. Dual exhaust isnt an that hard either. The LT1 stock manifolds bolt to the L05, all that is needed is a hole drilled, and all the LT1 headers work. As for the Vortech/MPFI. Ed Wright said he had problems with the Vortechs and the wiring harness or something like that so you might want to still look at the Trick Flows. I can get his contact info if you need it too.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I started thinking about two nights ago about the vortec and TBI intake combo. I know Vortec heads are good and I found an intake for $305. But, if you say someone already has experienced problems with the vortecs, yeah, I want to see some info on it. Last thing I want to do is to put in an engine that makes my Ol' Reliable into a Ol' Pain in the ass! Thanks for the help guys!

Oscar

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve9c1:

Dual exhaust isnt an that hard either. The LT1 stock manifolds bolt to the L05, all that is needed is a hole drilled, and all the LT1 headers work. As for the Vortech/MPFI. Ed Wright said he had problems with the Vortechs and the wiring harness or something
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

duals are still pretty tricky because the crossmember either needs to be modified or you need to get a newer crossmember/tailshaft housing along with a homemade bracket for passenger side. to use LT1 manifolds you will also need to make sure you get the smaller gm style starter or else they will absolutely not fit. L05 heads have the exhaust ports slightly higher up than lt1 heads do, which creates slight fitting issues like starter mentioned above. and yes, the hole needs to be drilled but that is not too hard for someone with a drill press. it really isnt that its super hard for a good fabricator, but it still takes a lot of careful time

yes true all LT1 headers will fit the engine, but i still have my doubts on some of them to fit in our engine bay, especially full length headers. i know they should work, but there doesnt seem to be very many L05's wit headers out there and i hate recommending things when im not 100% sure they fit good.

corey at netgearhead had the edelbrock mpfi kit on his L05 (i forget the heads he used though) and seemed to work well on his car. but since i have not yet gotten to that point, my experience is pretty much null, but hopefully ill get there soon ;) :D

ozzy, you should definatley check out the TBI forums on thirdgen.org . its a camaro site, but they have still have the L03 and many on there have gone the vortec route. many have also done the L05 swap. a lot of info on there so any bad experiences will definately be posted there! hope this helps!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I knew the LT1 manifolds wouldn't fit (drilling a hole is news to me), but the headers will bolt on without this extra hole, right?

Also, do you have a part number for this smaller starter? I just got a new starter a couple years ago, but I have no idea if it's a "small GM-style" one.

This L05 thread is like a roller coaster; come up with a good idea, problems arise.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i believe so. when i saw the LT1 heads i think they had two bolt holes to accomodate standard bolt pattern, IIRC. i dont know why the manifolds got a different pattern. but i believe the LT1 headers use the standard bolt pattern.

i dont have any part #'s for the different starter. but the LT1 starter is smaller and should work, but the LT4 starter is for some reason cheaper and the same size if not smaller. so id go with that, whatever the part # is (maybe someone can chime in with the number). if youve ever replaced it you might already have a newer style.

to my knowledge any GM engine from '93 and earlier got a generic large GM starter, but when they started with the LT1/LT4's they made a new one, being smaller. but those should bolt and work fine in the L05. i had a set of new LT1 manifolds, i even mildly ported them, but the reason we couldnt get them in was i had a huge starter and no places around me carried the (smaller) LT4 starter. so if anyone wants some new LT1 manifolds, i might be able to hook you up as they are just laying around in my garage right now ;)

a good thing about the L05 caprices is that we can use just about any standard small block engine, which gives us a LOT of options/parts to have access to.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts