Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the inner and outer tie rods on my 94 Caprice LS. I matched the measurements on the old ones and now have a severe toe in issue. Can anyone give me a crude measurement for inside sidewall to inside sidewall, or some other measurement so that I can at least drive the car to an alignment shop ? In hindsight, I should have measured the distance from tire tread centers. Thanks in advance.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Toe out/in is the difference in distance between the front of the tires and the back of the tires.

If you can find a consistent place to measure on the tire tread, and if you can get the ruler between the tires - might be hard if the car is lowered, other things tend to get in the way - you can make these two measurements and adjust the tie rods to get them as close to the same measurement as you can. That should be good enough to get you to the alignment shop.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up running some masking tape across the wheel wells and adjusted the toe in so both sides were equal. I ended up with about an 1/4" difference between the front and rear of the tire. It's a crude adjustment but it made the car driveable to get to a shop. Thanks for your input.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen old timers just use a tape measure on the front and back sides of the tire held up as high as it can go without hitting the undercarriage. The only way to get it real accurate however, is to scribe a line on the tire, since there can be significant variation in the location of treads relative to the centerline of the tire at different points around the circumference. You're looking for about 1/64" or 1/32" toe in -- the front sides are closer together than the backs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts