Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright guys this has been in the works for a while and Tony finally gave it a go. We talked about it after he heard my Girls Camry and fell in love with the sound and simplicity of what it consisted of. We talked about doing a simple install and after talking about equipment and budget I came up with what i thought would be a great sounding stereo system without spending a TON. I will update this thread as I finish stuff or whenever I can. I work on it after I get home from my regular Job. Here we go.

Here is what the install is going in.

The Head Unit will be an Alpine IVA-D310 that Tony Already has.

Amps will be a Planet Audio BB1350.1 to the subs at 1.3 Ohms and a Planet Audio BB175.4 To the Front Doors and rear Speakers.

BB1350.1 Waiting on the BB175.4

Front Speakers will be a set of JL Audio C2 Components and The rear 6x9's will be a pair of JL Audios that were already in the car.

Wiring will consist of a Kicker PKD1 0 gauge amp kit and Tsunami RCA's.
A Soundstream BX-10 Will be inline to the sub amp for the Oldies and when Tony plays Chalino while cruising in HP LOL.

Here is a shot of the equipment I have here. As you can see a Trio of Crossfire P1 subs are going in this car. Tony originally wanted to go all JL but when I showed him the price diference the choice was simple. We picked all three Crossfire subs for about the Price of ONE entry level JL sub would have cost.

Buisness end.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here is what I have so far.

Hinge Covers Cut ready to be put together and the Door adapters to install the JL components in the front doors.

When Tony picks up the coponents I will router out the hole.

Side Panels. We are waiting for an amp to Come In so I can decide how the cutouts in the side panels will be layed out.

Hinge Covers put together. I used screws and countersunk them. I will fill them and sand tomorrow.

That's it for now. I need the car now to test fit the side panels. The hinge covers will fit no problem. I need all the panels in the trunk so I can measure for the width of the box.

*Update* 08-09-10

Got the car here on Sunday and started fitting panels

Driver side Panel and hinge cover in Place.

Passenger Side

Box Starting to take place.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
*Update* 08-09-2010

Front beauty Panel in place inbetween the hinge covers. My Brother helped Shape the contour on the top for the rear deck. He did a good job. Fits nice and tight.

Routering out the holes for the subs. I love my Jasper circle Jig.

I used fiberglass mat and Resin to seal up the wierd angles of the bottom of the box. I am not an expert carpenter so my angle cuts are very close but not perfect. This adds stregth and ensure a tight seal.

Here is the beauty Panel cut and test fitted. You can see it take shape now huh Tony.

Here is the box done and in place with all Panels. It looks good doesn't it :)

You can see the contour my brother shaped to fit snug to the rear deck.

That's it for now. Next will be the Amp cutouts in the side panels and routering all the edges.

**UPDATE** 08-11-10

Ok yesterday I didn't get much done and when I was out measuring, someone sent me to Home Depot. Hi Tony :) . But Today I got home, ate Dinner, and pulled the car out. I got the cutouts in the side panels done, and routered all the edges with a 45 degree router bit.

The side panel cut.

Here are the panels in place.

Passenger side.

Driver Side

Shot of the whole Trunk. The routered edges not only look good but help when wrapping. Looks pretty good I think.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
**UPDATE** 08-22-2010

So FINALLY I get to update. I got my replacement charger cable for my laptop Yesterday. Here you go guys.

Here are all the Panels wrapped.

Put a layer of carpet on the box before the vinyl went on.

Close up of the side panel.

Side panel enclosures where the amps will be mounted. They are painted flat black and a layer of bedliner coating went on.

Shot of the power wire, remote and speaker wires for the Components that will run on the Passenger side.

Tony ended up getting a set of Alpine Type R components. Here is a shot of one of the mids.

Shot of the mid in the door. The adapters also recieved a coating of flat black and bedliner coating.

This is a pic of the trunk with the Raammat installed. My Girl Carmen did a good job :)

Front doors recieved a little of deadener where the adapters come in contact with the sheetmetal. The inner door also got treated. The doors needed a little bit of shaving for the Alpine mids to fit.

My Wire hanger I used to pass the wires through the door boots.

Ground got bolted to that bolt on the frame.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I had these cut in reverse in a frosted vinyl and applied on the back side. They are back lit by flexible led strips that make the frosted ecals glow.

I skipped a few steps but here you go anyways :)

Here is the side panel in place. This is the Passenger side which houses the mids/highs amp, power distribution, and Alpine Crossovers.

Driver side houses the sub amp and Soundstream BX-10. Oooooh a teaser.

And Wait for it.... Drum roll please.

All panels in place.

All I need to finish up is the plexi for my logo, trunklid cover, and the A-pillars.

***Update 09-09-2010***

I havn't had ANY time to work on this thing. Work has been extremely busy. A good thing though :) Here is an update on the A-Pillars

Here are the rings for the Tweeter.

I sanded the texture off the A-Pillars so the new texture wouldn't need to be blended. Here are the ring Hot Glued in place.

And wrapped in Grille Cloth. I have them glassed already but no pics of that yet. They are aimed Off axis firing across the Dash.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I'm in............looks sweet!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
******Update 09-11-2010*****
Here they are sanded and with body filler. I used a filler called Dyna-Delite and it is pretty easy to work with and sands easily.

Here is the first coat of primer so I can see where I am at. They look good and now just need to sand down the filler primer and fill in the pin holes with spot putty. Then the final coat of primer will go on before the textture spray. I will use SEM to match the stock interior color.

***Done***

Trunklid Cover was the last piece I needed.

Jimmy at it again!!! stay tuned for his next build, two 13.5 W7s in my trunk ;) lol
Ported firing through the rear deck! :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks good. I just got your message, so if you still need me to call you I will do so a bit later.

Be nice if you have specs on hinge covers. :D
I do. I have a mold made out of 1/4 inch MDF. They only work with these side panels.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
so far so freaking good Jimmy.

"lmao at Tonyno bumping chalino through HP on the weekends" I knew I saw him up there.

Do me a favor, I called him a couple times but he didn't answer. Tell him I used the $$ to surprise him with this awsome MOD for his bumps. He just has to DGGM color match it and he's all set. :D

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
I went from just wanting 2 10s jl's to this it just made a lot more sense to go this route from amps to wiring to subs and covers its all jimmy.

I've always paid for a complete system I've never seen or built my own from scratch.

I wanted something simple and clean I was thinking of same color carpet but now I'm going to go with sem vinyl to match my interior.

Jimmy got some skills and mad knowledge when it comes to audio building so I can't wait to get this going and seeing the end result.

Wolf I paid around 400 for both amps new.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts