Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for opinions on LT1 preventative maintenance, beyond just changing oil and filters. My RMW has about 130K miles on it, and runs well, at least for its age. Around 110K miles I put a new water pump drive, timing chain and front seals on the motor, as there was substantial oil leakage. Turned out the water pump drive bearing had worn, so that the shaft was whipping about. Had nearly destroyed the splined coupling to the water pump. Anyway, at that time I also replaced the water pump, cleaned up the OptiSpark, and replaced the plugs and plug wires.
But are there other parts which might catastrophically or annoyingly fail at this mileage? Do people swap out the injectors? Hydraulic lifters? Specific sensors?
Basically, repairs without taking out the motor?
Or is it just "too much time on my hands"?

·
Registered
976 Posts
you have great info on this page right above your post that has helped me,check there if it's something else you seek thats not covered than you gonna have to be more specific.hope this helps also you have a few cool dudes out your way baddass of new england check that site out

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't know what "runs well for, at least for its age" means. It should run idle and accelerate smoothly, cruise as fast as you want to go, and get 20-24 MPG on the highway. If it doesn't, I would chase that down first.

You're overdue for spark plugs, if they were not changed at 100k. Going to electric fans is worthwhile, if you have mechanical. I tow with electric fans, works fine. Make sure there are no broken exhaust manifold bolts. Bilstein shocks are expensive but worth it for wagons. I have had a rear alternator bearing go out every 80k miles (three times). So I will change that as PM. The plastic heater hose flow restrictor seems to break routinely, I changed it out as PM. If I changed hoses I would get a new coolant reservoir, due to the age.

Otherwise do what you have been doing, eyeball everything at each oil change and take care or your opti routinely.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The opti vent harness everybody talks about should be checked out too for proper vacuum.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
On top of whats been said, oxygen sensors should be changed every 100k. Also the "T" and restrictor going to the heater core should be replaced, they get brittle and like to crack.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If I changed hoses I would get a new coolant reservoir, due to the age.
While I have changed reservoirs, they have been "used" pieces. Are the OE parts still available?

·
Registered
81 Posts
While I have changed reservoirs, they have been "used" pieces. Are the OE parts still available?
RMS lists the part, http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=12528777.

I think the restrictor is this flow control valve assembly: http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=15-5508

Coolant caps don't last forever, and are fairly inexpensive as well. I have also replaced the fan and fuel pump relays, and put the old ones in the glove box for spares.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The vacuum hoses to the vapor canister are usually dry rotted, worth fixing as they can create a vacuum leak once they break. Also EGR valve can fail without the car throwing codes, the ecm is still adjusting timing thinking everything is working though (makes the car hunt slightly at steady highway speed)

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
I would have changed the opti while I was in there if it was the original.

Sorry this is such a long post.

Here is what I did to the SS since I did not want it to break down on the wife while it was her daily driver and my son was only two. Just around 100k the pinion bearings were whining so I had them replace by my gear guy. I was there while he was doing it and and he asked if I wanted 3.73s installed for $200 more. I said sure and he pulled out a new box with gears ;) Then around 110K she got a flat ran over something big a killed the tire. I was just going to replace both rears when I noticed the fronts were worn on the inside badly so it ended up being 4 tires. Then I took it to the alignment shop and they told me the upper BJs and outer tie rods were bad. This is an SS that has had 17" wheels all it's life the front end will wear out sooner than stock 15s. Since I was no stranger to replacing the front end part by part (trying to track down a strange problem on a wagon). I knew I would just replace everything at once and be done with it for another 110k+. I used all moog HD parts and installed new shocks also, this made the car very tight and responsive again! That's when I really decided to replace all the normal wear parts (that I had done before). I replaced the WP, Opti. Plugs, Wires, FP, FP filter, oil lines, tranny lines (both were seeping) & O2s. Two weeks later while she was on a trip the coil went wacky it would miss and backfire. Lucky I was able to figure it out over the phone (since I had just replace most parts). That was a little over 3 years ago and 25k miles (she got a new car last year). I think the only thing replace since then was the radiator. I could have had the tank replaced for $55, but my buddy was able to get me a new one for $68.

HTH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts