Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont want to Jam a piece of wood or a screw driver (may be open to other methods but not those). Whats the tool that holds on to the teeth? I'd like to seperate my trans from the converter. Im doing some troubleshooting, for a shaking issue that is madding!!! Thanks.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,894 Posts
harbor freight sells the "correct" tool for like $12 last time I checked. I think Sears may also sell it.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, since the the plyers I can get that asap (sorry dont know the exact name for it, but when I see those it reminds me of a plumber/maintenance men)

Where/how are you holding it, in relation to the flex plate?

Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If sears has it, then I can go pick on up from there. Just dont want to make a bigger problem then I am already facing.

As they say the right too make the job easier/faster.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
channel lock pliers :) thats it! What is the socket size on the tq converter bolts? Do you all use a wrench or a socket?

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
15mm shallow socket.

I just grab the flex plate over the edge, with the handles angled towards the front of the car.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Impact gun.....too easy!

Drop two bolts from starter, move it out of the way.

Use a 15mm wrench to bring the TC bolts to the open area (where the starter was)

Then hit them with an impact

When re-installing, do not tighten the bolts until you have all three started.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
All are good ideas, ive just used a wrench and hit it with a hammer to give it the first "shock" i guess to get past the loc tite

·
Registered
826 Posts
harbor freight sells the "correct" tool for like $12 last time I checked. I think Sears may also sell it.
Just an FYI its not listed on their website. , not sure about the store though.

I bought the tool.
I too bought the tool base on this thread reccomendaiona nd must say, it ROCKS!. Very easy to use. I got mine from Summit Racing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts