Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone can help, I'm thinking about doing some minor bolt ons, these are the part#'s from Summit that I'm interested in.

TFS-K314-445-405

TFS-K315-465-450 for 1987-95,centerbolt(sot sure what this means)

It's a stock motor. 1996 Impala SS. I'm wondering if either of these part#'s will fit and perform as stated? The only thing that i don't like about these kits are that they are tested with carburetors. Can a fuel injection setup get the same results with this? Any input, objections, suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys.

Eventually be adding Tri Y's and full 2.5 inch exhaust system.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, as Mean SS pointed out, the kits you identified are wrong for the LT1 engines. That you did not know this should be a matter of concern........for you

Before getting into whether a heads/cam set-up will benefit you, why don't you tell us what you CURRENTLY have on your car as well as what you're going to install later......

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, i didn't know i would be lowering the compression with this kit. I'm looking for the best top-end kit but i don't know what to get.

The car is stock right now. Looking to get the most out of the motor without doing any bottom-end work and without supercharging or turbo(being that i've read that going that route is an endless money pit).

Do they have any kits like this available for LT1's. I thought these would fit because it said for Chevy small block.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by DogStyle:
.....Do they have any kits like this available for LT1's.....
Yes.

Lloyd Elliot and Advanced Induction

.....I thought these would fit because it said for Chevy small block.
That's why you need to do a LOT more reserach

The LT1 (Gen-2) heads are reverse-cooled and are NOT compatable with Gen-1 SBC's.

Again.....do more research. You might find that if you do not have certain mods already, a heads/cam kit will hurt performance more than it'll help

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have found that the Summit site is really good. Their sales/tech will help you a lot also. I cant understand why the correct parts were not selected in the browsing part of your web session. You would start out by selecting make model year engine and as you go through the departments there are usually selections to narrow down the parts shown to you so you will see only what is good for you application. Summit has always been really great to me and they have the best service I have ever had experience with.

Dont be afraid to call them and pick their brains. Then go searching and reading the web site and call them back and pick a little more until you completely sure your getting what you are looking for.

Good Luck

Pammie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might find that if you do not have certain mods already, a heads/cam kit will hurt performance more than it'll helpQUOTE]

What kind of certain mods?

I found this setup on summit also!! any input on this guys?

NAL-GMP3287-1
NAl-GMP3287-2 (not sure of the difference between the two, but i think the color of the intake manifold)

How does this setup compare to the Lloyd Elliot and Advanced Induction setups that KW BARAKA mentioned earlier? Which is better?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.....NAL-GMP3287-1.....NAl-GMP3287-2
How does this setup compare to the Lloyd Elliot and Advanced Induction setups that KW BARAKA mentioned earlier?
Less performance.......more expensive.

Like I said before, you need to resarch ON THIS BOARD (not Summit Racing.....they are only a vendor) for what works on these cars.........and you still haven't given us an idea of what you have on your car NOW (TB size, PCM work, gears, transmission) or your projected use for the car.

Again, as stated earlier, you start slapping heads/cam on your car without the proper associated mods and on a stock drivetrain, and you stand a good chance of loosing performance.

Until you provide more information on your car, nobody will know what heads/cam set-up is best for you.

KW

[ 07-19-2007, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: KW Baraka ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like i said before the car is stock. My Plans are to install:

Tri Ys, full 2.5" exhaust, 373's, 3000 torque converter.

With that said, will a top-end kit help? Is this a fact that the Lloyd Elliot and Advanced Induction systems are better than the part#'s i listed or is this just hear say and personal preference? No offense, i know i'm here because i need help, but there are vendors on here also that just want to sell you their product. I hope i'm not coming off the wrong way here guys, just another motor head trying to spend wisely. Thankyou

What makes Lloyd Elliot and Advanced Induction better than NAL-GMP3287-1
NAL-GMP3287-2, besides the sales pitch?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like i said before the car is stock. My Plans are to install:

Tri Ys, full 2.5" exhaust, 373's, 3000 torque converter.

With that said, will a top-end kit help? Is this a fact that the Lloyd Elliot and Advanced Induction systems are better than the part#'s i listed or is this just hear say and personal preference? No offense, i know i'm here because i need help, but there are vendors on here also that just want to sell you their product. I hope i'm not coming off the wrong way here guys, just another motor head trying to spend wisely. Thankyou

Car is 1996 Impala SS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where the hell is Dwayne when you need him? This is a great opportunity for him to do some educating! Sure doesn't waste any time busted my balls on threads!

Anyway, Dog do some research on the forum. By your posts it is obvious you have zero clue about our cars. If you did a search about Llyod and AI, you wouldn't have posted that bogus statement about PROVEN vendors on the forum.

Also, educate yourself here about setups that perform.

Good luck and take KW's advice, he is one of the most knowledgeable & helpful members on the forum along with many others.

There's a ton of good info on the forum about what works and doesn't. Remember the last one of these was made over 11 years ago. So there's been a bunch of performance mods done by many dedicated mambers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys on here are trying to help. There is a plethora of knowledge to draw from in this forum and others in the SS community. I would go through and read many of the "sticky" threads that review topics like cams, exhaust, etc. then do some searches on heads/cams, etc.

You really need to tell everyone your goals. If you want 1/4 mile performance, then the easiest research you can do is on the 1/4 mile page:
1/4 mile w/ setups

This will give you a good idea of what has been done with various setups. No talk of vendor preferences, just what people have done to run X times and traps. The best way to get X performance is to duplicate a known setup that generates X performance. You should look at temps of the runs, too, but you will see trends for in general what you can expect w/ different modifications. I would argue that without going extreme this is the most thorough source of information on go fast parts you can have because most of these cars are full weight b-bodies and in groups you can see where different combos will net you in times and traps.

If you are looking at autocrossing/road racing then your early mods will be much different than what you have posted to get reliable performance. Really, except for some safety and longevity mods, the best for decreasing times here is seat time and some driving instruction.

If your goals are just more performance for the street, then you would best be served by looking at the true bolt ons before digging into the engine. (again, available in well documented threads for both cost/performance, etc.)

As KW was saying, you may hurt performance if you go down the wrong path for modifications. However, certain mods can set you up for better gains when you do get into the engine. You may find, in fact, that with programming, gears, converter, intake, headers, exhaust and a few other supporting mods that low 13's are plenty fast for what you want. Even better, though, they would set you up for heads/cam much better in the future.

Whereas, if you just added head/cam work to an otherwise stock car you could be severely disappointed by slower than stock 60 ft times, being embarassed out of the hole by AWD japanese cars on the street, etc.

There is no magic solution, although the 1/4 mile times page I think is very close at figuring it out for you.

IMHO, however, summit is not the place I would go for head/cam setups/info (unless you know what you want and are just buying part X from them). Even in the LT1 info, most setups were designed for cars that were lighter, and the results may be disappointing in our heavier cars. Further, Summit is definitely trying to sell parts, with no care of what will really work best for you. I would stick with Impala guys, even the "vendors" here since they wouldn't continue to stay in business if people here didn't have good experiences with them. If you don't believe me, just call one of the vendors and ask them how easy it is to do business in the Impala community. Many of them share the same love of B-bodies as the guys and gals buying the products they are selling.

You might not like that people will ask you to clarify your comments, but you should definitely listen and try to keep an open mind and be nice so they will continue to help you out the best way they can.

Good luck,

PJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok guys, I'm convinced. I went on to Advanced Induction's website. I found this:

"210cc Full Port LT4 Cylinder Head Package"

My car is definetly going to be street driven and never see the track. I'm not worried about noise or anything like that. I just want a bad azz street monster. If i go with this setup with Tri Y's, 373's, 3000 stall, 2.5" full system w/ no cats, mufflers, will i be good to go? Everything is going to be done all at once. I get confused sometimes with the street/strip classification so that's why i wasn't being clear. It will never see the track but i will street race and also like to cruize. Thanks for the help guys and sorry if i offended anyone, this site is great and i have gotten alot of great info. Happy to be here. Thanks again.

Oh yea, what will i be running abouts if i did take it down to the track just to test? Any additional addons to go with this just fling em out....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
.....Advanced Induction's website. I found this:....."210cc Full Port LT4 Cylinder Head Package"

My car is definetly going to be street driven and never see the track. I'm not worried about noise or anything like that. I just want a bad azz street monster. If i go with this setup with Tri Y's, 373's, 3000 stall, 2.5" full system w/ no cats, mufflers, will i be good to go?.....
OK....the 210cc package is a great choice......for a lightweight Camaro or a Impala SS with a stroker motor.

For a 350ci, the head ports are a bit much for our 4400 LB cars. The 210cc will make for a great freeway cruiser.....but it'll be sluggish off the line in city/stop-and-go traffic

Now.....you can do what ya want......but in your shoes, I would go with a bit less head......like maybe their 190cc package. Dwayne Jennings has this set-up in his Caprice with great all-around results.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
.....Oh yea, what will i be running abouts if i did take it down to the track just to test? Any additional addons to go with this just fling em out....
Well.....with the 190cc A.I. package, 3.73 gears and a 3000+ stall....Dwayne is in the high 11's.

With the same associated mods and 210cc package, he'd probably be quite a bit slower.

Big cars like ours with small (meaning non-stroked) engines don't respond well to large port heads.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice!! How does the cam with the package you recommended 190cc make the car sound if you know? Thanks again and i appreciate the help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh yea i was trying to find that kit but i don't see it. Is it an LT4 kit? The lowest LT4 kit i see is 200cc....is this also too much for what i'm installing?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
....How does the cam with the package you recommended 190cc make the car sound....
I honestly don't know..........maybe Dwayne will eventually chime in and will give a first person account.....
.....The lowest LT4 kit i see is 200cc....is this also too much for what i'm installing?
Once you get above 190cc ports on a 350ci, you run the risk of having too much head (damn, can't believe I just said that
!).....

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is this a fact that the Lloyd Elliot and Advanced Induction systems are better than the part#'s i listed or is this just hear say and personal preference? No offense, i know i'm here because i need help, but there are vendors on here also that just want to sell you their product. I hope i'm not coming off the wrong way here guys, just another motor head trying to spend wisely. Thankyou

If you did some research, as has been suggested several times, you would find out.

Ok guys, I'm convinced. I went on to Advanced Induction's website. I found this:

So, again, you're willing to do research on vendor's websites (unsuccessful at that), but you are afraid of doing research here because you think you'd get a sales pitch? :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by sbs:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DogStyle:
Is this a fact that the Lloyd Elliot and Advanced Induction systems are better than the part#'s i listed or is this just hear say and personal preference? No offense, i know i'm here because i need help, but there are vendors on here also that just want to sell you their product. I hope i'm not coming off the wrong way here guys, just another motor head trying to spend wisely. Thankyou

If you did some research, as has been suggested several times, you would find out.

So, again, you're willing to do research on vendor's websites (unsuccessful at that), but you are afraid of doing research here because you think you'd get a sales pitch? :confused:
</font>[/QUOTE]SBS that ship has sailed so stop digging graves and stop your crying. The topic option is here for a reason so if your going to get your panties in a bunch because "god forbid someone asked the same question more than once", than keep moving, your remarks are useless. It's funny how you can spend time and type a whole paragraph about how i didn't do my research but it would have taken you the same amount of time to be a decent guy and type something helpful. Not everyone knows everything and not everyone can find the answers to their questions. This is what this forum is for so move along if stuff like this bothers you....little baby.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.