Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for a non modified TBI 350 what was the top speed for the 1991 Caprice?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On a 1991, with an L05 engine you had to get 235/70/15 V-rated tires, which should set the limiter at 147 mph. On a 1992 or 1993, you could order an L05 with 225/70/15 H-rated tire, which forced you to also get the 130-mph limiter. If you ordered the 235/70/15 tires, you retained the 147 mph limiter. All that is moot, because an L05 with 195 hp and 3.42 gears ain't gonna go 130 or 147. I'd say somewhere around 115-120 would be about all it would have.

http://www.9c1.com/brochures/1991/91_9c1.pdf

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Spurt Reynolds aka VIN Guy:
All that is moot, because an L05 with 195 hp and 3.42 gears ain't gonna go 130 or 147. I'd say somewhere around 115-120 would be about all it would have.

http://www.9c1.com/brochures/1991/91_9c1.pdf
I would have to disagree. I have twice had my 1991 L05 distinctly hit the limiter at 133 MPH. (give or take 1 mph) The road was a slight downgrade if any at all. 120-137 did take some time though.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your 91 should have been the same as my 93 with the L05. I personally hit max speed at 133. No limiter that I knew of or atleast felt.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had to be the limiter...the car felt like I took my foot off the gas even though I didn't. :confused:
Car would have kept going IMHO...

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, guys, looks like I'm wrong. It was just off the cuff, as I owned 2 1993 9C1s with L05s, and although I never topped them out, it felt like they were going to run out of breath pretty early. I stand corrected!

It does make me think that my Jag, at 3800 lbs with a 3.54 rear gear has some hope! I just need to get some tires that'll handle some speed.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the info never got mine past 95 since it has real bad blow buy but my new world product motown and e tec are gonna fix that!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got another vote as I've had 93 9c1 up to 133mph and had some more left in her but I had to slow down as traffic was coming up pretty fast.

I'd like to see that LT1'd Jag too. I think you should take it to the strip, drag strip that is.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine was out of breath at 133. I believe she had 165k miles on it and was a former Oregon State Patrol car. It had seen better days. I ended up selling her a few months later when I got my 95. Oh the LT1, rear discs, "life-size" mirrors, better 1/4 windows and passenger airbag were definitely worth it. About 2 years later I sold that once I finally got my SS.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I think back I'm like .....133 on the Jersey pike??? WTF was I thinking??? :confused: :rolleyes:

That Jag is sweet Spurt, make sure when it's all said and done you bring it to Stealership for an oil change so they can be like

:confused:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Michigan State Police tested (and still tests) for top speed on the Daimler Chrysler Proving Grounds 4.7 mile banked track in Chelsea MI during their annual police car tests. MSP reached 130 mph in the LO5 9C1 during the Fall 1990 tests (of 1991 models), 132 mph for the 1992 model and 133 mph for the 1993 model. Each of those cars had V-rated tires btw, as denoted by the V-rating listed on the factory tire sticker on the driver's door.

It's possible that each car could have gone a little faster if the road had been straight, the weather colder, and if the testing had been done at sea level. But the cars wouldn't have been MUCH faster. The power requirement goes as speed^3 (speed cubed), and the power delivery on the LO5 is fairly flat from 4000 rpm to 4600 rpm and typically 5 to 7% loss in the converter at WOT.

And the ONLY people that really know what the true speed limiter is in the 91-93 cars (and the 89-90 brick TBI cars too) would be the people that know how to remove the EPROM (chip) from the ECM, download the stock chip parameters, and then read them to understand what they mean. So even if the car can make enough power, the speed limiter might prevent the car from ever reaching the speed allowed by physics. Everyone else has to settle for the speedo calibration (speed limiter code) listed on the SPID along with the tire speed rating as the guide, or testing for themselves (hopefully with no one on the road).

Finally: weather, tail/head wind, altitude and state-of-tuning all effect how fast the car will go. A really well maintained car with good ring seal can probably run 133+ near sea level in cold weather. A high mileage poorly maintained car at 1500 ft MSL won't run that fast during the summer. The actual car's top speed can fall anywhere in this range.

Footnote: the 94-96 LT1 9C1 Caprice reached 135 to 141 mph during the MSP tests, and they had 260 fwhp. The LO5 9C1 only had 205 fwhp and reached an MSP best of 133 mph. So the extra 55 hp in the LT1 was good for only an 8 mph increase over the LO5. The 1990 brick Caprice LO5 9C1 only ran 122 mph during MSP testing; the same engine went 130 mph a year later in the first whale Caprice (1991 model). These show how much power is zapped due to aerodynamic loss at high speeds. In a whale Caprice you need approx 600 fwhp to reach 200 mph (using engineering + math). There are other prior posts that detail the how/why of the power needed so search for them if you are really interested.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by kdrolt:
Footnote: the 94-96 LT1 9C1 Caprice reached 135 to 141 mph during the MSP tests, and they had 260 fwhp. The LO5 9C1 only had 205 fwhp and reached an MSP best of 133 mph. So the extra 55 hp in the LT1 was good for only an 8 mph increase over the LO5.
That's what I was thinking about when I made my claim above about 115-120mph.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what about a 96 Impala SS? What would the top speed be? :confused:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It'd would be speed limited in the PCM for 154mph per it's 17" tires & the associated speed rating, but would be close to the top speed of a LT1 9c1 of the same year, as it's the same exact car.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The box they tested had a 350 in it. I wonder what the LO3 9C1 would have achieved since I have had my civvie LO3 up to 116 easy with alot left to go. I wonder what the top speed is?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Spurt Reynolds aka VIN Guy:
OK, guys, looks like I'm wrong.
Your info IS correct for 94 and 95...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts