Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a fun weekend replacing a bunch of gaskets and installing “The Works” Torqhead system and an electric water pump. Only hang up was the plug wires. For the life of me I couldn’t make them. Have a friend making them for me tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had a fun weekend replacing a bunch of gaskets and installing “The Works” Torqhead system and an electric water pump. Only hang up was the plug wires. For the life of me I couldn’t make them. Have a friend making them for me tomorrow.
She’s back in action! Definitely needs some work with the tune that came with the Torqhead. Main delay was fooling with the MSD super conductor wires that came in the kit. F*** them things! I personally feel they are the biggest pain in the rear to build and slide on the coils/plugs. I ended up giving up on those and throwing one across the yard in anger.
So, here’s the solution/alternative and it works great. I bought some plug wires for a 2002 gm 2500hd with the 8.1L. The wires are 13” long and fit perfect for me. Plug wires #7&8 are pretty close to the manifold. I would suggest a sleeve or the factory truck metal plug covers.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
I should have bought them for my 454. I am currently making plug wires and it takes about an hour per wire.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Not sure why you two are having so much trouble with a simple thing like making wires.

Blueallie, if those are knock off GM truck coils , heres hoping you are the guy that got 8
that work

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have bought them for my 454. I am currently making plug wires and it takes about an hour per wire.
Not sure why you two are having so much trouble with a simple thing like making wires.

Blueallie, if those are knock off GM truck coils , heres hoping you are the guy that got 8
that work

that work
I used dielectric grease on the wires. Then pulled the boots over the wire, cut and made the crimp and then pulled the boot back. Those boots were damn near impossible to push and pull with the grease. Even tried dry silicone spray on one. I don’t think the coils in the “kit” are GM. They’re black epoxy filled and not cream colored. Unless Gm has changed the colors in them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FWIW, Torqhead provided me with the authentic GM coils. The website says they provide the good coils to all customers
I don’t see where he specifically calls them GM coils. The only 2 parts gm are the AC Delco cam and crank sensors.
Regardless, I’m extremely happy with it and definitely feel it’s a quality kit. Besides the POS msd wires. I really hate those things!

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
There are a crapload of questionable D585 knock offs out there. Real GM oem coils are REALLY expensive.
My personal second hand experience of failures , two sets-part of torquehead kits, one set bought from an online vendor.
Some DOA , some died in short order.
Those cars the quick fix were sets of Junk Yard coils.
The one car i did with D585s we used over the counter coils from a reputable local GM dealer and no issues.
My point to this ???
If you start chasing running and misfire issues on your new coil near plug conversion , dont ASSume it couldn't be your brand new coils.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are a crapload of questionable D585 knock offs out there. Real GM oem coils are REALLY expensive.
My personal second hand experience of failures , two sets-part of torquehead kits, one set bought from an online vendor.
Some DOA , some died in short order.
Those cars the quick fix were sets of Junk Yard coils.
The one car i did with D585s we used over the counter coils from a reputable local GM dealer and no issues.
My point to this ???
If you start chasing running and misfire issues on your new coil near plug conversion , dont ASSume it couldn't be your brand new coils.
I know those D585 coils run about $93 a piece x8 and is close to $1k. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
I got my coils from a running wreck for $60.

I may continue to make the wires, only because the coils on my 454 are not mounted at the same place for every cylinder. Each wire is a different length.

Reactions: blueallie

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I measured and then had Magnecore custom make me my wires. Also running a $40 set of junkyard coils with no issues.

-Brian

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
I called MSD today, and they told me to use a silicone lubricant to assemble the plug boots. I bought a can and will give it a try. I will let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
So long ago at this point I A) don't remember and B) it probably has zero comparison to post covid shipping times.

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
Reporting in on the use of silicone spray on the MSD wires and plug boots. It worked really well. I finished the plug wires in about a half hour. You must really soak the wire, and inside of the boot, then get them together quickly so the lube does not dry. Do them one at a time. I grabbed the wire with a pair of pliers, that I have, that are shaped to grasp wires without damaging them. It made it easier.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Reporting in on the use of silicone spray on the MSD wires and plug boots. It worked really well. I finished the plug wires in about a half hour. You must really soak the wire, and inside of the boot, then get them together quickly so the lube does not dry. Do them one at a time. I grabbed the wire with a pair of pliers, that I have, that are shaped to grasp wires without damaging them. It made it easier.
Thanks Fred. If I make wires again I’ll remember the spray. I’m getting rid of the msd wires that came in the kit and won’t be using them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts