Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gentlemen, was wondering if anyone in California is riding with the Torqhead system? Any issues passing smog visual or emissions?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Hello Gentlemen, was wondering if anyone in California is riding with the Torqhead system? Any issues passing smog visual or emissions?

Posted a link for reference.

Interesting - less $$$ than I expected. Looks like quality and well thought out.

No experience with it. Anyone have it?

I have a pass or don't pay smog shop I have used for past 16 years. Always pass with air pump delete (removed) with sticker, but this is different.

It's results that count. Clean running? How many smog shops have seen our few cars? Small reference sample.

FWIW - Their website says "Off road only" - standard disclaimer

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Everyone in Cali knows what "off road only" means...

·
Registered
269 Posts
im in whittier, smog my cars in Pasadena.... lmk if you need a hook up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grandpa and Pimp, thank you for the helpful responses. It always amazes me, no matter the forum, there is always at least one who would rather waste his own time by typing a smart comment than just adding something helpful. “Off road use only” is on pretty much every aftermarket part that’s worth buying. Was stamped into the Thunder header I put on my Road King. Obviously it not approved for use in California, long tube headers aren’t approved for use in California either but I’m sure there are plenty of people in Cali that have them bolted onto their cars. The torqhead system is a lot more concealable than long tube headers and I imagine only promote better emissions numbers, reason for the original question. I was looking for responses of guys who have either concealed or found techs don’t care as long as the numbers are good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not smog legal here in Ca. people just pay under the table to pass smog.
Thank you, I realize that but is it the visual inspection that is the problem with the torqhead alone? Most people who are “speakin easy” have other mods they can’t pass with that are much more obvious I’m sure. Even at STAR stations I’ve yet to see any of my cars go up on a lift or a smog tech slide under on a creeper. The only thing I can see being a stand out with the torqhead is the coil packs either on the valve covers or on top the intake. I figure the intake mounted style would be the easiest to conceal, like under a gutted home plate or something, all the other pieces to the torqhead system are fairly well covered in their mounted positions.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Thank you, I realize that but is it the visual inspection that is the problem with the torqhead alone? Most people who are “speakin easy” have other mods they can’t pass with that are much more obvious I’m sure. Even at STAR stations I’ve yet to see any of my cars go up on a lift or a smog tech slide under on a creeper. The only thing I can see being a stand out with the torqhead is the coil packs either on the valve covers or on top the intake. I figure the intake mounted style would be the easiest to conceal, like under a gutted home plate or something, all the other pieces to the torqhead system are fairly well covered in their mounted positions.
The visual inspection alone is the problem, yes.

Reactions: 1SSt964Cali

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
IMHO, the chances of any smog tech having ever seen an Optispark before is slim. The only thing that would stick out are the coils, but there are so many other smog-legal cars with coil-on-plug systems that I bet they'd not bat an eyelash. Worst case, smog it, then spend a Sat afternoon installing the system and ride for the next 360 days.

Reactions: 1SSt964Cali

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it might be possible to cut out the bottom of the home plate and cover up the coil packs mounted on the top of the intake manifold. Would only have to figure out how to secure the home plate with a stock look and make it look like it’s connected to the opening where everyone puts the hockey puck.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but this has gotten the best of my curiosity.
Does California provide the emission tester with a picture of a stock engine bay to compare the car to; or are you anticipating the technician will remember what the engine bay should look like?
Is there ever and age where the emissions testing is no longer required?
It seems really unfair that if a car passes the sniff test, that it could still fail for cosmetic appearance.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Laws in Cali. are only partially about emissions. They also prohibit modifications w/o a CARB certification regardless if these modifications affect emissions. Plenty of folks have vehicles that pass inspections because they follow the law(s) Others try to get around the laws. Some get away with it ,and some get caught. Hence the visual inspection...

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I (kind of) understand the CARB body concept, but with California having such a long history of car culture, as well as such a large and active current car culture, I am shocked how much concern (and weight) the "visual" part of the inspection commands. I am sure we all agree it seems very misguided. How much you are actually "polluting" should be the only focus.
I also can't imagine most emissions inspectors knowing what a "stock" 94-96 Impala engine bay looked like, so I was wondering if they have visual aides provided, or if the concern was just catching a "sharp" inspector who would suspect that coil on plug was not around in the 90's.

I sure hope that California will be policing the power sources of where all of the electric car (plug in charging) is coming from just as aggressively. I would expect the CARB body to require "renewable" power generation for the electrical grid.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Personally , I would've left Cali for this reason alone years alone. Their anti-gun attitude is even sillier.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Personally , I would've left Cali for this reason alone years alone. Their anti-gun attitude is even sillier.
Don't get me started on that. My wife and I shoot for hobby and competition and we live in New Jersey (one of the worst states for gun rights). It is easy to want to move out, but I have a great job that I cannot seem to replicate in any of the other states (where I would want to live). I'm stuck. Hey, at least my Impala does not require emissions testing in NJ (due to it's age).

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
But, if you left 20 years ago when you already knew how NJ was? Suspect you'd have a well established life (and,job) somewhere else. Am I right?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
No, probably not. I am in a specialized field of manufacturing. I grew up in and spent most of my life in Chicago. My career has taken me to California, New York, China, New York, Connecticut, and again to New York. I live in New Jersey and commute to New York.
I have always wanted to move South for warmer weather, but I have never been able to find a comparable job to allow such a move. There are pluses and negatives to every state, and we all make sacrifices for our families. Besides, 20 years ago, I was at the right place for learning the skills I am using now. (y)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
California uses the CARB as an income on aftermarket parts because of the large car culture in California. Aftermarket parts companies have to pay a lot of money to have their parts CARB approved. That’s why most say 49 state legal. I’m sure that’s partially why CIA headers aren’t CARB approved as well as the torqhead system. I believe there are many product out there that can clean up emission numbers but the manufacturers don’t want to pay for the CARB testing and certification.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
They have regulated the process instead of the desired results.

-Brian

Reactions: Marky Dissod
1 - 20 of 23 Posts