Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been happy for the most part at how the old Opti and Ignition have performed over the years on the LT1/L99 setup. I was recently looking at the setup from Torqhead....

https://www.torqhead.com/index.html

and also a series of Video's on the Swap this guy did.....

While it seems like a slick setup that a lot of time and effort went into designing, I'm just wondering if it's really worth the $1600+ investment.

With other options like fine tuning your original LT1/Opti/PCM setup or even going to a full blown LS swap, is this worth the effort/cost and if you did the Swap how do you like it??

Soooo, is there anyone here who has done this conversion and if so what are your thoughts on this setup and was it worth your investment OR just thoughts in general??

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm going with TH on my build. The 411 PCM is just SOOOOO much faster than the LTx computer and allows for a lot more fine tuning since it can read sensors so much faster. My end goal with mine is to open me up to more tuning options. Here in Arizona, we have some of the best tuners, but they all tune the LS platform, so going with TH allows me to use their services.

As for whether it is worth in on a bolt on car? I'm not so sure on that. A solid running Opti setup is probably more than sufficient.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
I've gone back and forth on the TH setup ever since it hit the market. I know my engine can make use of it and will perform better, but I just don't think its a priority purchase until I'm literally out of stuff to spend my $ on with this car. Its a "cool to have" thing and not a "must have" thing for me given that my car is a DD and not a race car. I also do not like that you are beholden to a boutique PCM that's only available from a single manufacturer.

They do look cool as hell though....

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
I can't say much about this but I think KW has it on one of his cars. I would wait for him to weigh in with his informed opinion. It might help you with a go/no go.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Premium Member
20,297 Posts
…..I was recently looking at the setup from Torqhead...…...While it seems like a slick setup that a lot of time and effort went into designing, I'm just wondering if it's really worth the $1600+ investment.

With other options like fine tuning your original LT1/Opti/PCM setup or even going to a full blown LS swap, is this worth the effort/cost and if you did the Swap how do you like it??

Soooo, is there anyone here who has done this conversion and if so what are your thoughts on this setup and was it worth your investment OR just thoughts in general??
I can't say much about this but I think KW has it on one of his cars. I would wait for him to weigh in with his informed opinion. It might help you with a go/no go.

Mark: Snowman-33
From all that I read, you cannot expect more than 10-15 HP/TQ at the wheels with the TorqHead….BUT….you'll have this increase virtually every point through the entire power curve versus an 'opti' engine. I found this to pretty much be the case. :)

That said.....the TorqHead will allow you to cleanly spin the engine to whatever RPM limit that your engine has the capability of spinning to. No crazy high RPM misfires, no 6900 (or so) PCM induced RPM limitations since the kit uses a modified LS2 ECM.

If I were just tooling around town at 40 mph, two days out of the week.....or had a near stock set-up, I would've passed on the kit.

But I have a stroked LTx with a fairly aggressive solid roller valve train....and I ALWAYS drive 'spiritedly' and race it occasionally. SO FOR ME…..it was worth it.

Best of luck with whatever you do!

KW

Reactions: TommyblaccSS

·
Super Moderator
8,388 Posts
So I don't have torqhead and I have not tuned an LS (though I've seen HPTuners and the 411 PCM is indeed very powerful). But I have tuned a number of LT1s and the gifted enthusiasts who have developed eehack and the $EE definition in TunerPro have really opened up a lot of abilities with the stock '94-95 LT1 PCM including built-in wideband support, real-time spark and fuel adjustment, and adjustable injection timing which can help cure low rpm closed loop fueling instability.

The other challenge is that you most likely have to learn how to tune it yourself since tuners don't want to mess with non-LS stuff. That said, if you can read, do basic wiring and are familiar with Microsoft Excel, you can tune.

If I was running high-rpm or forced induction, I would definitely move away from the stock 94-95 LT1 PCM. Forced induction can be done using the half-MAF trick but it's still a band-aid. The LT1 does run out of MAF resolution headroom over 475hp or so, just based on my own tuning experience. Again, there's ways around it, but that is a capability limit.

For a normally aspirated street car that doesn't see high rpm, I think you could better spend $1600 elsewhere.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I believe either 24x conversion is worth it.
If you can build/modify your own harness save yourself a boatload of $.
But good tuning is expensive if you have to pay someone to have it done.
I don't believe in mail order tunes or one size fits all tunes.
Every engine runs a little different even if same specs.

I bought the EFIconnection kit, and can do harness/tuning myself.
Personally I'd never pay for the full TH kit, but I'm a cheapass, and enjoy doing things myself.
I went with EFIConnection because parts are internal, not 100% sold on having sensors hanging on front of engine.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I'm going with TH on my build. The 411 PCM is just SOOOOO much faster than the LTx computer and allows for a lot more fine tuning since it can read sensors so much faster. My end goal with mine is to open me up to more tuning options. Here in Arizona, we have some of the best tuners, but they all tune the LS platform, so going with TH allows me to use their services..
That's interesting to read about the use of the 411 PCM. That PCM is also used on an upgrade for my year and model of Tahoe ('98). I'm not sure what makes that PCM a choice for an upgrade over stock, but it's something the truck forum guys do too.

Also regarding tuning, I'm pretty sure with that PCM you can get yourself into an HP Tuners dongle from what I understand, and then play around with the programming on your own. They've got a good forum as well.

That's what I've been doing with my Tahoe since I completed an engine rebuild. I found a JET (P/N: 14005) tuning hardware on eBay for CHEAP last month, and have been doing little changes here-and-there above and beyond what I initially had Bryan Herter do at his house one weekend about 10 years ago.

It's truly AMAZING as to the possibilities of what's available to tweak in the Truck (As well as the Caprice) PCM. For example, I can increase the alternator output, which I did, from 550-1,000RPM since I have stereo installed. I can also modify the output/display for the fuel gauge. There's some cool stuff beside engine and transmission tables too!

Okay, back to the 411 PCM.....

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I also do not like that you are beholden to a boutique PCM that's only available from a single manufacturer.
This is the biggest drawback as well as the custom made cam/crank sensor.
The 24x system from EFIconnection is a lot cleaner and uses all factory parts.

Nab

Reactions: threeimpalas

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey i just picked up my TH kit today and i went with the basic kit it was about $900usd i have to make my own brakits and get my own coils. I had some coils from my 03 2500 thatvim going to scrap so i saved some money. After talk to the guys at TH i think its a great mod to do if you have work done to the car. I think to see and feel the difference you would need more then just bolt ons. Also the TH guys willl telll you whats the best kit for you and if you dont need some parts they dont try and sell you extra ****, justvto make money off you.Put that just my 2cents.

·
Registered
626 Posts
This is the biggest drawback as well as the custom made cam/crank sensor.
The 24x system from EFIconnection is a lot cleaner and uses all factory parts.

Nab
Nab, not sure where the 24x crankshaft sensor comes from, but the cam sensor is an AC Delco unit.

If EFIconnection could make a more plug and play system like TH did, I'd be more apt to go that route. I do like their full timing cover though...

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,084 Posts
That said, if you can read, do basic wiring and are familiar with Microsoft Excel, you can tune.
Please do not make it sound that easy. You will convince dumbasses like me to try it.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Nab, not sure where the 24x crankshaft sensor comes from, but the cam sensor is an AC Delco unit.
I was really referring to the TH cam/crank sensor housing which bolts on in place of the opti,
has moving parts (bearing just like an opti and is a potential failure point that may need replacement in the future.

The EFIconnection 24x crank reluctor is a one-off part that they make but theoretically will never wear out because
it is pressed on and simply spins with the crank.

Nab

·
Registered
626 Posts
I was really referring to the TH cam/crank sensor housing which bolts on in place of the opti,
has moving parts (bearing just like an opti and is a potential failure point that may need replacement in the future.

The EFIconnection 24x crank reluctor is a one-off part that they make but theoretically will never wear out because
it is pressed on and simply spins with the crank.

Nab
Point taken...I do like pieces of each system. I like the fact that EFIconnection keeps the reluctor wheel inside the timing cover, and I REALLY like their optional billet timing cover, without water pump hole!

But, I personally like the cam sensor setup of the TH more, and the plug and play aspect of the TH is amazing. If you could marry components of each, you could have the PERFECT system. Realistically, I wonder if you could utilize the EFIconnection timing cover and reluctor wheel setup with the TH harnesses and computer? At the end of the day, a 24x signal is a 24x signal no mater where or how it is installed...

·
Registered
976 Posts
If you could marry components of each, you could have the PERFECT system. Realistically, I wonder if you could utilize the EFIconnection timing cover and reluctor wheel setup with the TH harnesses and computer? At the end of the day, a 24x signal is a 24x signal no mater where or how it is installed...
If you used the EFIConnection setup with the TH harness/pcm??
The only thing you'd have to change maybe the crank & cam sensor wiring routing/length?

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
I am certain the guy that engineered/created/manufacturers the TH setup would sell a lot more units if he made an adapter module or harness that would take all 4 of the LT1 PCM plugs and convert them to the required 411 PCM pigtails. Hell - he'd probably make more money on the conversion blocks than he makes selling the TH kits. That is literally the only thing that has kept me from buying a kit. He's a boutique provider and he WILL stop making the TH converted 411 PCM's. What happens then?

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am certain the guy that engineered/created/manufacturers the TH setup would sell a lot more units if he made an adapter module or harness that would take all 4 of the LT1 PCM plugs and convert them to the required 411 PCM pigtails. Hell - he'd probably make more money on the conversion blocks than he makes selling the TH kits. That is literally the only thing that has kept me from buying a kit. He's a boutique provider and he WILL stop making the TH converted 411 PCM's. What happens then?
The original prototype had just an adapter bolted to the front of a 411 pcm. With production kits, he opted to go with a more sealed system, hence the "boutique" pcm. In reality, I'm betting that nothing was altered in the 411 pcm and the moulded adapter piece could be re-used...the website says "Absolutely NO factory PCM soldering has been modified to ensure exceptional factory PCM quality." So who knows. Either way, I really like the plug and play of the TH. I HATE wiring, so no way in hell I'm going after the EFIconnection system.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you used the EFIConnection setup with the TH harness/pcm??
The only thing you'd have to change maybe the crank & cam sensor wiring routing/length?
That would be my thought...use the harness that TH supplies for the coils, and sensors, and possibly shorten/lengthen the crank sensor as needed. Cam sensor length should be good since both products put them in similar proximity.

I really like this front cover from EFIconnection, as everything is self contained, and gets rid of the water pump drive hole that I don't need...

I may have to explore this option a bit more. You could piece together parts from both kits and be in it for only a few bucks more, and have a sleek looking system!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

Directly connecting our 4 harness connectors to the 12200411pcm is a compact solution that deserves credit for its elegance.

That said, it looks like he had a very good reason to have proprietarily modified the 12200411pcm directly.
Personally, I'd rather have that black 5into1 thingy separate and independent of whatever 12200411pcm I sourced myself. For only one extra step, pcms become easily replaceable.

But given the ever-increasing ability of the latest OBD1 LT1 definitions, to get the most bangforthebuck from the TorqHead conversion, I'd use both an Aussie OS, and the 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3 firing order.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts