Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when I bought my 1996 Caprice, the steering was a bit off. We thought this was the result of a broken pitman arm seal. We found out that it was also leaking power steering fluid. We replaced the pitman arm seal, had it aligned, and it no longer leaks fluid, BUT, I have noticed, mainly on the highway, that the steering feels a little touchy. It sways a bit at certain speeds, there's a noticeable area in the middle where the wheel steers freely, but doesn't really control the tires. I have to hold the steering wheel to the right slightly just to keep it straight. I'm not sure if it has to do with the front shocks or what. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
there's a noticeable area in the middle where the wheel steers freely, but doesn't really control the tires.
sounds like your steering box travel is not centered when in the straight ahead position.
basically the steering box has to be in the center of travel where the sector is tightest, the tie rods and steering wheel are then adjusted so the front wheels are straight ahead.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I just had mine aligned and did the jeep shaft swap. Mine has always been very touchy. I have to re align it becasue my alignment guy has it tilting slightly to the left. It irritates the **** outta me. But any slight movement and it will change lanes on you if you're not careful.

My possible winter project might be rack and pinion though.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
Your steering is sloppy in the center, because the box either needs adjustment, or is worn out. The procedure is on the forum, if you want too search for it. It is also in the FSM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts