Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never towed anything before, I will be towing a trailer and when I load it up shouldn't be more than 2,500 lbs.

I have 22's and 3.73's. In the past when doing the 3.73's I added a large external tranny cooler.

I heard it recommended not to drive over 45 mph, should I stick to that or could I go maybe 60-65?

Also should I use drive or OD?

Very inexperienced in this area so please share your knowledge.

Thanks,

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fbi9c1,

I have a 96 9c1, 5.7 I have dual electric fans, 160 stat computer tuned, large external tranny cooler(aftermarket), regular size (orig) external oil cooler. The tranny was rebuilt with a shift kit and kevlar bands I believe. I have 3.73 gears, 22 inch rims with 265 35 tires. I was just asking when people say "towing package", what that consists of to make the car be able to handle the heavier loads.. It seems that all the posts I have looked up are gone from the huge mishap with the ISP or domain that deleted half of the forums history... Any advice, insight, experience, and thoughts or opinions are all greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-Jon

· Registered
2,572 Posts
9c1 with LT1 is as heavy duty as it gets. The B4U towing package is for civvie cars. The 9c1 and B4u have the same towing capacity of 5000 lbs. The best thing you can do for your car is to lose the 22's, but of course you probably already know that but aren't going to do it.
You should be OK towing with your setup. Tow in D, not OD as already stated. Good luck.

· Registered
2,572 Posts
Actually with your 3.73's you can probably tow in OD without a problem. If you encounter steep hills, you can shift to D for the climb. The weight of the wheels is hard on your trans and tire profiles less than 40's are not suitable for high speed and heavy duty use, no matter what anyone here with big wheels may claim.
I think you are in good shape for the towing that you are wanting to do.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I talked to a tranny guy he said drive up to 50 or so then switch in to OD, how's that sound to you guys? I also have a trans temp gauge he said if it gets around 220 that is bad and I could fry my trans, I think while driving on the highway it does get around 150-190 normally (without towing)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.