Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know lots of folks have added (helper) air bags inside their rear springs to help out when towing. What about air bag suspension set ups? With them inflated would they be capable of handling the extra load like the ones in the springs?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'd want to see what the effective spring rate of a FULLY inflated air bag is first. My inclination is to say that you wouldn't wanna try it, but the numbers would help...

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a real answer here, but....

All modern big-rig trucks (Kenworth, Peterbuilt, etc) have air bag suspensions. So, at least in theory, towing can be done. This does not mean that the air bags marketed to Impala owners are appropriate for towing, but that the concept will work.

------------------

Craig R Jones
My Web Page
[email protected]

1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon "Collectors Edition"
Mods (so far): Window Tint; Billet Specialties 17" x 9.5" Octane Wheels; Nitto 275/50 rear 255/50 front; Hotchkis "Extend" rear control arms; Hotchkis Anti-Sway Bars; Eibach Springs (1-1/2" drop); Bilstein "Cop" shocks;Air Lift bags in rear; Dynomax cat-back; Hypertech PP3; K&N Intake; F-body elbow; Airfoil; 3.73 GM gears

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, would anybody know what the inflated rates are? How about those that offer kits for sale I see on here, "Got Specs?"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.